1990 OMC 225HP Looper with very weak spark - not starting

gabby198

Cadet
Thread starter
Joined
Jul 13, 2011
Messages
6
New to this board, looking for any help.

I have a 1990 OMC 225HP Looper.

I had zero spark on all cylinders. So I replaced the powerpack. That gave me a very weak spark. I tried new champion spark plugs and gapped them at .030, still no luck.

I disconnected the kill wires, the yellow wire from the stator, and checked all resistances and voltage. Everything checks out. I even get a nice 150-200VAC while cranking from my brown to brown/yellow wire.

The coil connections look nice and the spark plug wires look fine.

I now have spark. It is a very weak yellow spark, not a nice blue one you would expect to see.
I think spark dwell timing maybe got knocked off? Or a trigger problem? Or a ghost? The engine will start briefly with starting fluid.
 

boobie

Supreme Mariner
Joined
Nov 5, 2009
Messages
20,826
Re: 1990 OMC 225HP Looper with very weak spark - not starting

Are you using a peak reading voltmeter or an ohm meter with a dva adapter to check the stator voltage?
 

gabby198

Cadet
Thread starter
Joined
Jul 13, 2011
Messages
6
Re: 1990 OMC 225HP Looper with very weak spark - not starting

I am using a cheapy analog multimeter. It seems to be giving me ball park readings, though I know it is not as accurate as others.

I jumped over the ignition coil last night and still have the same symptoms. Even went back to the old power pack for a sanity check.

The engine still acts like it has a bad power pack, even with the new one.

Anyone ever hear of a bad starter causing this? I seem to be spinning fast enough - but maybe?
 

seahorse5

Rear Admiral
Joined
Jan 24, 2002
Messages
4,698
Re: 1990 OMC 225HP Looper with very weak spark - not starting

those motors need a strong battery, good cables and connections, and a starter in good shape to generate a healthy spark. I believe the ignition system nees about 300-350rpm to start correctly. Otherwise you will be chasing squirrels trying to test for spark.
 

gabby198

Cadet
Thread starter
Joined
Jul 13, 2011
Messages
6
Re: 1990 OMC 225HP Looper with very weak spark - not starting

chasing squirrels? I thought I was hearding cats. I think I can get my hands on a starter tonight or tomorrow. That makes sense considering all the rust that has accumulated around the air box, and its older anyways so it can't hurt.

I'll give it a go and let you all know. Thanks.
 

gabby198

Cadet
Thread starter
Joined
Jul 13, 2011
Messages
6
Re: 1990 OMC 225HP Looper with very weak spark - not starting

Definitly not the starter, I replaced it last night with no change. I even jumped it directly from the battery (which is good) and still had no change. Still a weak, inconsistent spark.

The magnets on the flywheel are in place, not cracked and still magnetized.

I did pull both the stator and trigger as I am going to send everything to CDI. Let them test the old power pack, the new power pack, the trigger and the stator. I see everything was replaced in Oct 2009 ? so they are still under warranty anyways.

I?ll repost in a week or so when I head back from CDI. I miss fresh pompano.:mad:
 
Top