1990 Larson Senza Spectre -need some advice

I recently just bought a 25’ 1990 Larson Senza Spectre and I was looking for drivers that know all the tips and tricks to driving this and basically any tips about the boat. For example, I need help getting it to plane level, it wants to ride on one side. I tried messing with trim but I need some help figuring it out. The guy I bought it from really didn’t know much but I can tell this is gonna be a great boat ONCE I master driving it.

tpenfield

Staff member
:welcome: to iBoats

Go-fast boat. Be sure to hang on :D

what other boats have you skippered?

jbcurt00

Staff member
Does the boat lean at rest or only while under way?

jbcurt00

Staff member
Only when I pick some speed up. When I’m just slow cruising (like 15mph?), it’s fine or just floating.
If it floats level, that likely eliminates the most common cause of a list on a nearly 30yr old boat: being water logged below decks. Sp thats good....

If it floats level, that likely eliminates the most common cause of a list on a nearly 30yr old boat: being water logged below decks. Sp thats good....

Yeah, I knew that it wasn’t anything bad, it’s just the way the hull is designed. It’s a unique hull, half the boat rides on air when you’re drivIng and half is in the water. I’m guessing there is a sweet spot on the trim but I had trouble finding it, if that’s the case.

Bondo

Staff member
It’s a unique hull, half the boat rides on air when you’re drivIng and half is in the water.

Ayuh,..... Welcome Aboard,..... Sporty lookin' hull,.....

The quote above applies to most all planin' hulls,...... especially the sporty ones,.....

Ayuh,..... Welcome Aboard,..... Sporty lookin' hull,.....

The quote above applies to most all planin' hulls,...... especially the sporty ones,.....

Yeah, the hull is definitely sporty, it’s the challenger hull, same one. I’ve read that 180’s are easy with this hull but I’d rather not. I’d just like to drive straight lol

Oh also, I have various cockpit plastic parts that have cracked and broken and was wondering where online I could find replacement parts. Mostly trim parts that cracked and broke.

Driving a step hull is definitely a new experience so maybe it’s not just the hull and I’m assuming maybe wrong? The steering at slow no wake speeds is pretty squirrelly (steering back and forth, right, left, right etc.). At higher speeds it’s worse, could it be torque issues? How would I check?

Bondo

Staff member
Oh also, I have various cockpit plastic parts that have cracked and broken and was wondering where online I could find replacement parts. Mostly trim parts that cracked and broke.

Ayuh,.... Odds are those bits are NLA,......

Larson would probably be yer only chance,.....

Bondo

Staff member
Driving a step hull is definitely a new experience so maybe it’s not just the hull and I’m assuming maybe wrong? The steering at slow no wake speeds is pretty squirrelly (steering back and forth, right, left, right etc.). At higher speeds it’s worse, could it be torque issues? How would I check?

Ayuh,..... At low speeds, less operator input is the cure for V-hull wander,......

At speed, careful trimmin' usually helps,.....

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral

Great Lakes Skipper (you can Google it) often has original parts for Larsons, but finding what you want can be pretty hit or miss. Worth a look. Other than that, not much out there unless you get really lucky on Evil Bay. You can try Larson, but I think they have been bought and sold a couple of times since your boat was built, so the chances of them having the part you need is slim. Can't hurt to email them, though.

Ayuh,..... At low speeds, less operator input is the cure for V-hull wander,......

At speed, careful trimmin' usually helps,.....

Less input and i’d be on shore..... and trimming at higher speeds doesn’t seem to help what so ever. Actually trimming doesn’t seem to effect it at all ever.

Great Lakes Skipper (you can Google it) often has original parts for Larsons, but finding what you want can be pretty hit or miss. Worth a look. Other than that, not much out there unless you get really lucky on Evil Bay. You can try Larson, but I think they have been bought and sold a couple of times since your boat was built, so the chances of them having the part you need is slim. Can't hurt to email them, though.

Yeah, I’ve tried that besides emailIng Larson... but I’m not sure how to go about finding their email though. I’ve checked the other sites, besides making the pieces myself which is not gonna happen, eBay imo is my 2nd best option.

briangcc

Commander
Yeah, I’ve tried that besides emailIng Larson... but I’m not sure how to go about finding their email though. I’ve checked the other sites, besides making the pieces myself which is not gonna happen, eBay imo is my 2nd best option.

Usually they will refer you to a dealer as *most* manufacturers won't sell parts directly to the boat owner. So I would humbly suggest using the Larson website to track down a local dealer who can get you the information you want in regards to parts.

**There is a Contact Us link off the Larson main page which would be a good starting point for contacting the manufacturer directly.

I was thinking about putting smart tabs on, it looks like someone use to have a stationary trim tab on the left side, you can see from the pic that it looks like they used something for compensation. Would a trim tab help though? Wouldn’t the step prevent it from working though?

Attachments

• photo299384.jpg
    photo299384.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 1

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
That pattern of screws looks pretty similar to what my SmartTabs use to secure the tab to the hull. I don't know if SmartTabs might be applying a bandaid to the problem, but if you can't find any cause for the boat to list underway, you might try them. They don't cost that much and they could help your problem. One nice thing is that you could set one side to a firmer setting which migh help with the boat's lean when you're underway. You'd have to experiment some to find the right settings, but I think it could help.

I have SmartTabs on my boat and they do help keep the bow down when taking off, and they help get on plane quicker. I imagine power tabs would give you even more control, but they are also a lot pricier.