1990 four winns 180 candia repair, suggestions welcome

jackrabbit85

Recruit
Hey everyone,
To start out, I purchased this boat from my buddies dad who needed some money due to a layoff and didn't have enough interest in restoring this boat anytime soon. It was actually a good price and I like projects soo I have a boat now. Soo far I have replaced both swivel seats, old ones we're shot. My buddy and I are completely re-vynilling and re-building the deck seats and side pieces, engine cover , canopy cover ect.. we are starting to re-floor today which is going to be a pain I know. The only issue I've come across soo far is when I take it out on the water, when I get it up to speed the temp climbs to 190..thermostat, impeller, lower unit, water pump, and hoses are good though..any ideas are welcome and so are tips on the flooring

Bondo

Staff member
The only issue I've come across soo far is when I take it out on the water, when I get it up to speed the temp climbs to 190..thermostat, impeller, lower unit, water pump, and hoses are good though.

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,..... Outboard or I/O,..??

What motor, 'n/ or drive,..??

jackrabbit85

Recruit
It's a mercruiser...probably should have specified that huh, lol...I have a new update on the issue. We drained the old gear oil and removed and checked the upper end/bulkhead and found some sand almost as if it may have been run through a sand bar at one point. We cleaned the sand out and made sure to grease the u-joints and clean any of the old nasty gear oil. Once we got it cleaned up greased and put back on, we filled with 90w quicksilver and submerged the lower unit to test for overheating. It turns out it might have been the actual housing to the impellar. The metal insert the impellar sits on ended up spinning with the impellar. Needless to say even though it had seemed to be ok previously, it wasn't

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... Glad to hear ya got it sorted out,....

jackrabbit85

Recruit
The housing and impellar will arrive today soo I'm keeping my fingers crossed. We went ahead and started pulling the carpet yesterday to see how bad the wood is in the floor. The floor from the ski storage back to the fuel tank will have to be replaced along with building a fuel tank setting box. There also may be one runner that may need replaced.