1990 AQ271 DP 290 won't trim under power

willscarver

Seaman Apprentice
Thread starter
Joined
May 8, 2012
Messages
43
My AQ271 DP 290 won't trim up or down when I am under way but I can trim up or down out of gear. I have no leaks at my cylinders. It does hold its trim position under way under load it does not creep down in storage. I can get on plane with my trim tabs.
 

CharlieB

Vice Admiral
Joined
Apr 10, 2007
Messages
5,617
Re: 1990 AQ271 DP 290 won't trim under power

Try and see if it will trip UP while in reverse, if so it may be a weak trim motor or possibly poor electrical contact somewhere to the motor causing a power loss under load.

I'd start with cleaning all connections, and grounds before assuming the motor is going bad.
 

willscarver

Seaman Apprentice
Thread starter
Joined
May 8, 2012
Messages
43
Re: 1990 AQ271 DP 290 won't trim under power

Try and see if it will trip UP while in reverse, if so it may be a weak trim motor or possibly poor electrical contact somewhere to the motor causing a power loss under load.

I'd start with cleaning all connections, and grounds before assuming the motor is going bad.

I did check all elecrical conections and all seem good. I'm thinking weak pump or cylinders need to be resealed. They are the older square end type. Volvo does not sell a rebuild kit but is there an after market ? but in fairness if its the pump thats a lot easier. I am a few weeks from the boat hitting the water it will be in the 20 deg mark at night this week in the good old state of mass.
 
Top