1989 Force 85 HP Starter Disengages

Jared Dickerson

Recruit
856X9F Chrysler/Force Outboard
Last trip out in 2021 before the boat went into storage I started having problems. Starter comes up and Engages Flywheel, makes around 1 rotation then drops out of contact. Starter continues to turn after it disengages. I don't think the motor is firing before it disengages as I'm not hearing a pop or seeing any exhaust. New starter is on it's way as I intended to replace it before I started having problems. Looking for other things to trouble shoot before I pull it out for the summer.

Note: as an experiment I held the starter in contact with the flywheel with a pair of pliers, after 2 rotations it started and continued to run normally. The disengagement problem happened after the engine was hot as well.

topgun3690

Ensign
Had similar problem with the bendix dropping out before starting.....put a new kit on the starter (bendix, spring, collar and nut). So far it is not disengaging before starting. I really think it was the spring that was getting weak, not keeping the bendix engaged. The old bendix was a little worn so just replaced the whole thing.
Also, is that the original starter....or is it an aftermarket replacement?

Last edited:

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Weak starter.
Check the battery, might have a low cell along with the bad starter???

Jared Dickerson

Recruit
Issue happened with multiple different batteries as well as with a jumper box. New starter will be here Thursday, I'll post an update after its in and water tested. Thanks guys.

Nordin

Commander
If the starter continued to turn after the bendix disengage the flywheel there is an issue with the starter solenoid.
The starter gets power from the solenoid.

Jared Dickerson

Recruit
Got it out to test it yesterday. New starter, cleaned plugs, fresh gas, fully charged battery. Started second try, ran great all day, restarted every time with no issues. Thanks for the tips guys.

Edit: Bad starter was original Chrysler starter.

topgun3690

Ensign
Keep the old starter (original) as the new ones from China are crap. clean it up and install new brushes etc.
Plan on rebuilding my original Prestolite starter when it gives up the ghost.....the armature, brushes, etc are still available....

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
90% of the time all you need is to take it apart and clean it.
I've only replaced the bendix 3-4 times in my career.
Then it was because someone lubed it too excessively and got grease up inside the rubber.

Redbarron is right about the new starters from China= JUNK

topgun3690

Ensign
Checking on fleabay today....NOS armature in orig box for $24 (shipping included)....NOS brush set in orig packaging for $15 (shipping included). So I could replace the guts in mine for about $40 if I needed to.....and have a better starter than most of the Chinese junk out there.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Armatures don't usually go bad, I've seen one that needed replacing.
Just sand paper the copper connectors with 200g sandpaper.
Get the Mercury or old stock Force brush sets.
OEM bendix is where the major cost is incurred.

topgun3690

Ensign
1654092340964.png
Got this NOS kit for $30 and installed it last week. The bendix that was on there was a different kind.....the guy that worked on this motor years ago probably just slapped one on there that he had laying around his shop. Seems to work better now.

Why Force it

Cadet
90% of the time all you need is to take it apart and clean it.
I've only replaced the bendix 3-4 times in my career.
Then it was because someone lubed it too excessively and got grease up inside the rubber.

Redbarron is right about the new starters from China= JUNK
This just happened to my 50 horsepower Force. Starter would just spin and not engage. I removed the cowl and lightly tapped on the bendix, tried again and it started up. I have never cleaned one these before but I think I'm gonna try.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
No cleaning the bendix.
Any cleaners or sprays that get up inside them make them slip.
The only thing you can do is: q-tip up in the worm gear, then clean the armature shaft and reapply a small amount of grease to the worm gear.
Too much will ruin the bendix.
The bendix has a rubber hub like the propeller , they can go bad and need replacing.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Topgun, that bendix is from the OLDDD starters and used on the 50 hp. starters. The box is 31 years old.

Why Force it

Cadet
No cleaning the bendix.
Any cleaners or sprays that get up inside them make them slip.
The only thing you can do is: q-tip up in the worm gear, then clean the armature shaft and reapply a small amount of grease to the worm gear.
Too much will ruin the bendix.
The bendix has a rubber hub like the propeller , they can go bad and need replacing.
Thank you, good info to know. You're the best.

legalfee

Petty Officer 1st Class
Is 14 what I need? The top nut seems difficult to get off. Does it unbolt counter clockwise? I got some dry lube I can use.
Bendix.png