1989 Cobra 260hp 5.7 GM Fuel Pump

Greg O.

Petty Officer 2nd Class
This is a 1989 Four Winns 225 Sundowner with a 260hp 5.7 GM engine. Last fall on my last run of the year, I punched the throttle and the engine bogged down like it was starving for fuel. It would get up on plane, but would not run WOT. I am suspicious of the fuel pump, and feel it should be replaced anyway since it is original. I have 2 questions.

1. If memory serves me correctly, these GM engines have a push rod to drive the fuel pump. I remember someone telling me to screw a bolt in somewhere to keep the push rod from dropping into the oil pan. The OMC manual says nothing about that. If so where does it sacrew in?

2. The replacement fuel pump as listed by Marineengine is Sierra 18-7268. They do not have the OEM. From the picture the holes do not line up with my fuel lines. Maybe it is as simple as rotating the bottom part of the pump.

I removed the filter-water separator. There was no water in it.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Gm motor, carter fuel pump (cheaper to get original from Summit or Jegs than to pay for a sierra knock off

Its most likely not your fuel pump

Check the contents of your fuel filter for pure fuel

Get a carb kit and go thru the carb

Greg O.

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Yeah, I was wondering about the carburetor. Haven't touched it since I've owned the boat.

workkyle

Cadet
My boat has a holley but I went to my local speeds hop for carb kit as they have a world of info on carbs