atticus3600s
Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thread starter- Joined
- Sep 19, 2004
- Messages
- 120
I have a 1989 Jeep Cherokee XJ 4WD with the 4.0 liter with 155k miles.
The truck overheats when towing the boat on any type of hill, on larger grades I am forced to stop halfway up to allow the engine to cool off so it wont overheat.
It does not appear to have the trailer towing package but Im not towing that much weight. The boat is a 1984 Skeeter SS-Fisherman 16' fiberglass bass boat with a 75 horse 2-stroke mercury. Fully loaded with 12 gallons of gas and 3 batteries and trailer I think the whole rig weighs about 1400-1500 pounds.
The vehicle is rated to tow 2000 pounds without the trailer package (5000 pounds with) and I dont think I am near that at all.
I have basically replaced all the hoses, the waterpump and flushed the cooling system.
Should I install a 4 core radiator, a tranny cooler, or both?
Does anyone have any ideas of what else could cause this problem?
Thanks for your help.
The truck overheats when towing the boat on any type of hill, on larger grades I am forced to stop halfway up to allow the engine to cool off so it wont overheat.
It does not appear to have the trailer towing package but Im not towing that much weight. The boat is a 1984 Skeeter SS-Fisherman 16' fiberglass bass boat with a 75 horse 2-stroke mercury. Fully loaded with 12 gallons of gas and 3 batteries and trailer I think the whole rig weighs about 1400-1500 pounds.
The vehicle is rated to tow 2000 pounds without the trailer package (5000 pounds with) and I dont think I am near that at all.
I have basically replaced all the hoses, the waterpump and flushed the cooling system.
Should I install a 4 core radiator, a tranny cooler, or both?
Does anyone have any ideas of what else could cause this problem?
Thanks for your help.