1989 Cherokee Overheating

Deimus

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 1989 Cherokee Overheating

on an '89 cherokee they have a sealed system that does tend to overheat under load. I've been running cherokee's for years and have found that if you convert your system to the open type(1991 or newer cherokees ) you can greatly reduce this problem. also the new style radiators have an extra core over the older ones. I have a '90 limited that had the same problem in the hills. converted it this fall and have had no problems since. also a little trick is to disengage the a/c compressor and then turn the a/c on. this runns the electric fan all the time and not just when its hot. there is a wire on top of the compressor that has a aspade connector. I always do this when I am driving at low speeds or pulling.

bjcsc

Lieutenant Commander

IMO, forget about flushing or taking to a radiator shop. Just go pickup another radiator and be done with it. I had the same thing happen to my CJ-7 Limited, after I restored it (frame off). I should have replaced it when I rebuilt it. I flushed it twice-thoroughly-and accomplished nothing other than generating a bunch of waste to haul to the disposal place. It was a complete waste of time. Once my new radiator was in the problem was solved.

1648885Topless1.JPG

atticus3600s

Petty Officer 2nd Class

deimus: Thanks for the tip about the A/C, also I was thinking about wiring up the fan with a manual switch on the dash so I can turn it on whenever I want.

bjcsc: I think I am going to just replace the radiator and see what happens because as I said earlier in this thread I am pretty sure it is the original radiator.
By the way that is one h*ll of a nice CJ you have. Did you do the restoration?
My dad and I used to have 2 1979 Wagoneers and a 1986 grand Wagoneer, all great trucks that were amazing off road.
Have you owned any of the older FSJ's?

bjcsc

Lieutenant Commander

Check the draw on the fan and make sure you don't need a relay. Smart move replacing the rad.. Thanks for the compliments. Re: my CJ, yes I did all of it, 100% - even the paint. Took me 6 months of weekends. It started with needing to replace the gas tank and before I knew it, I had decided to just keep going. It was a lot of hard work, but it sure is nice now. As I went along, I added all the things I always wanted. It has on-board air that I designed powered by the original ac compressor. I made a custom mount for a dual needle gauge and a regulator under the dash, right next to where the winch remote plugs in (electric solenoid on the hydraulic valve - moved the connection inside instead of the normal 'on the winch'). It sure comes in handy, it will take one of my tires back up to pressure in ~8 seconds. Lots of lights (wiring inside the windshield frame, whelen switch box), custom front bumper with welded-through shackle mounts, winch plate and a receiver, hydraulic winch, greasable shackles and main eyes. DUI distributor, finger throttle on the shifter, etc. I can go anywhere...

The only FSJ I have ever owned was a 1987 Wagoneer (blue). It was a great truck and I sold it and bought the CJ about 6 years ago. It sure could pull...

Hey, here's a couple more pics. One when I was testing the wheel articulation and traction climbing ramps on opposite sides and one of the finished interior. Jeep on brother...

2080985articulation.JPG

2080984Inside.JPG

atticus3600s

Petty Officer 2nd Class

All I can say is very nice, it was definitely worth the work you put into it. 8)