1989--Black Max 135--stalls when cowl installed

clove

Seaman
Thread starter
Joined
May 7, 2005
Messages
51
I have received good feedback from the group and wanted to post another problem. I have a 135hp 1989 Black Max. I rebuilt the fuel pump which I thought was the cause of the random stalling. After doing so the problem reoccured. After a bit of playing around with it I discovered that removing the cover allows it to work fine--no stalling out. What would cause this? Also, I pulled the plugs after wards and noticed that there a little wet--not excessive. Could this be a sign the carbs needing rebuilding? I have not done a pressure check as of yet but don't suspect this is a trouble spot as the motor runs strong.
 

imported_scott_m

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Joined
Oct 24, 2004
Messages
139
Re: 1989--Black Max 135--stalls when cowl installed

Sounds to me like a wire in the main harness is being pinched and shorted when you put the cover on. I'd check your wiring.<br /><br />BTW, I've got the same motor. Runs great!
 

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral
Joined
Dec 29, 2003
Messages
8,200
Re: 1989--Black Max 135--stalls when cowl installed

Does exhaust fill the hood with it on? A leaking exhaust cover or base gasket could deprive the motor of oxygen if exhaust is in there instead of fresh air.
 

clove

Seaman
Thread starter
Joined
May 7, 2005
Messages
51
Re: 1989--Black Max 135--stalls when cowl installed

Thanks for the quick responses! I have already checked for pinched wires--good there. As for the leaky exhaust--not sure as I have not looked there. I can say this, that the motor runs forever with the muffs but as soon as you put in the water--that's when it stalls. I'll give the exhaust leak a check and see where that goes.<br /><br />Thanks!
 

clove

Seaman
Thread starter
Joined
May 7, 2005
Messages
51
Re: 1989--Black Max 135--stalls when cowl installed

Just got finished tightening/checking the exhaust plate and power head. The power head was still really tight. The exhaust plate however could take a about 1/4 turn on almost all bolts. Would the bolts being 1/4 turn out have the effect on the motor stalling when the cowl is put on? It took about 3-4 minutes for it to stall when it did it.
 

moderator1

Lieutenant Commander
Joined
Dec 5, 2002
Messages
1,668
Re: 1989--Black Max 135--stalls when cowl installed

Classic exhaust leak symptoms....
 
Top