1989 Bayliner Trophy OMC 5.8L - Help with new boat

The typical problems are:

gasket between pivot housing and drive not sealed properly, water leaks in and leaves deposits, makes bell crank in the pivot housing get sticky

This is what happened to mine it seems like. When I pulled the outdrive off it had water deposits in there. I cleaned it all up, greased it a ton and it moved very freely now.

My guess is the cable got stretched over time and it not able to move both directions the required 3" to move from forward and reverse, which is why I am only able to ever achieve one, no matter the adjustment.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Yep that sounds like what happened. Once you get it set up right it's not hard to keep it shifting well. Starting with a new cable, cleaned out pivot housing, all adjustments done you should be good.
With all the bad press OMC got on these I am amazed at how reliable this boat has been. And it's not ever been in fresh water as long as I've owned it.

So I found the problem... surprised the boat worked at all.

Metal piece had separated in the outdrive.

New Sierra cable is installed. Passed the clunk test. We will see how it does in the water.

20230804_205539.jpg

All good! Can happily report that it fixed the shift issue for the remainder of the 2023 boating season! Cant wait till next season.