1989 bayliner Arriva restoration

Zeeky

Cadet
I'm restoring a 1989 bayliner arriva. I have to do major work on it. I removed transom and all of the stringers because of rot. I'm hoping to get some tips along the way starting with working on small but difficult areas. Before I start replacing transom and the stingers I need to prepare the surface in a small but difficult place located near the boat's rear corner to the left of the out outboard motor transom. I need to prepare the surface for epoxy to bond but can't get at it. My grinder disc can't reach it. Anybody have any suggestions?View attachment 201462

jbcurt00

Staff member
Re: 1989 bayliner Arriva restoration

Z your pix didn't show up

Is there a particular reason you plan to use epoxy for the repair work?

A sanding pad on a multi-tool perhaps:
Multitool.jpg

Make sure your hull is well supported (probably need to fab a cradle) to ensure it doesn't go out of shape while you're working on it. Put the stringers, deck & transom in and any hull changes will be virtually permanent & difficult to rectify..

Welcome to iboats dry dock

You can't post too many pix.. Use photobucket & you can post the pix IN your posts instead of attachments that have to be opened.

zool

Captain

I'm restoring a 1989 bayliner arriva. I have to do major work on it. I removed transom and all of the stringers because of rot. I'm hoping to get some tips along the way starting with working on small but difficult areas. Before I start replacing transom and the stingers I need to prepare the surface in a small but difficult place located near the boat's rear corner to the left of the out outboard motor transom. I need to prepare the surface for epoxy to bond but can't get at it. My grinder disc can't reach it. Anybody have any suggestions?View attachment 201462

You just do what you have to do, epoxy will stick to most any rough surface, use various wire brushes, sandpaper at end of screwdriver for tight corners, dremel tool with grinding bit, ect, ect..

Zeeky

Cadet

View attachment 201689
Thanks for your reply. I uploaded the pic again,hopefully you can open it. When I get more use to this web site I will use the photobucket. If I lay the boat top section back on the boat, will that keep the boat in shape while installing new transom and stringers. I presently have the boat sitting on its trailer. If not, I will make a cradle.
I'm using epoxy because I'm told that epoxy is stronger and keep out water better. Hoping to prolong or prevent any future rot. Thinking about using poly for deck.
I guess I will have to invest in a muti-tool to get the difficult places. Need to do a good job restoring.
I plan to use 1808 for glassing the transom and stringer. View attachment 201693
This pic is before I removed the stringers.

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

You should have one of these if your going to be doing stringer and transom :)

Electric Die Grinder with Long Shaft

It doesnt have to be a H.F. model .. but a 1/4" die grinder is very handy when it comes to them tight spots..

YD.

PS. I really like them Arrivas.

Zeeky

Cadet

Where can I purchase good material to repair my boat seats on my Arriva? Hoping to find same pattern and Clorox as the original. I will be replacing all the vinyl material on seats.

Welcome to iBoats. We need pics!!!! Just saying. :encouragement:

Zeeky

Cadet

This is not a picture of my boat but the original material is the same color and pattern. The material had been removed before I purchased it.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Zeeky

Cadet

Thank you for all of your replies!

Also, in particular, does anyone know of a place in Houston, Texas that specializes in boat part supplies? I have been searching online, but can only find places that restores the boats themselves.