1989-90 bayliner 2159 hardtop.

rmbertoldi

Recruit
Hey best of luck with recovery, gotta use that Irish luck sometimes to get a new lease..slow and steady! Glad you got her splashed and the majority of the project done..just those LS gremlins to worry about now! :)

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Whatever you do .Do what the Admiral says ! Hang out with the pups ...Watch reruns on tv ,,,
Sit in the boat and make motor sounds ...
Hope your well enough to hang out for a bit when we’re camping out in your backyard .. I’m not sure if I’m taking a boat down or not ... Might just fish along the bank or do some surf fishing ...
Get well soon Micky !

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
Whatever you do .Do what the Admiral says ! Hang out with the pups ...Watch reruns on tv ,,,
Sit in the boat and make motor sounds ...
Hope your well enough to hang out for a bit when we’re camping out in your backyard .. I’m not sure if I’m taking a boat down or not ... Might just fish along the bank or do some surf fishing ...
Get well soon Micky !

looking forward to seeing you guys :)

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
Ok so I was talking to guy from hardin Marine, he told me to gut waterpump in alpha outdriv3 and use it for raw water pickup for closed cooling , anyone ever don3 this? He said they do it a ton when folks using alpha on closed cooling, because not many hav3 room for strainer and valve, I know Sherwood pump I have flows around 25 gallons at 4k and is used on crusaders up to 350 HP he said my ls should be fine but wanted so.e opinions

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
Well I'm going to go with a thru Hull , no room back at transom to get to a valve but my question still stands about using outdrive as a pickup

strokendiesel002

Petty Officer 1st Class
Wish I had some valuable inputs for ya bud. Hopefully someone else does - this is a stupid question, but have you tried this question in the Merc section yet?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
use the drive raw water pump to cool the PS cooler, oil cooler and fuel cooler. simple loop of hose that exits a restricted transom thru-hull

use the thru-hull pickup to cool the engine/exhaust - simplifiy the plumbing over the nightmare that is the mercruiser plumbing.

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
Scott , that's what I will probably do, also I have been trying to figure out why they feed exhaust manifold and with 1" when 3/4x2 from waterpump outlet manifolds would easily flow enough unless it's a velocity thing

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
I'm thinking 3/4 to exhaust manifold in and out for recirculation and 3/4x2 for raw water outlets they had them as 1" on the 6.0 but I'm only 290 HP 4.8 litre

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
Other thing I have been losing sleep overs oil relocation uses hose clamps and I know a ls can put out 80 psi oil pressure, I'd love to find someplace close to make.me custom hydraulic hoses but haven't had luck yet, Daytona seems fickle when it comes to specialitythings

froggy1150

Master Chief Petty Officer
Depending on oil port size get you some npt to j8 fittings and have one of the multitude of shops crimp ends on hydroaulic hose for you. Any equipment supplier should be able to help you. Hydraulic marine service was something that came up on Google. Grainger should be able to get them for you also. Don't know if you have a motion industries by you but I get a lot of stuff from them and they can get most anything

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
Thanks froggy , orielly does hydraulic hoses but they had no fittings lol I'm having same issue with powersteering hose , I'm resorting to making that myself with Earl's fittings

Scott Danforth

Staff member
Other thing I have been losing sleep overs oil relocation uses hose clamps and I know a ls can put out 80 psi oil pressure, I'd love to find someplace close to make.me custom hydraulic hoses but haven't had luck yet, Daytona seems fickle when it comes to specialitythings

your thinking automototive

go to any hydraulic shop.
get 1/2" NPT to #10 JIC fittings
get low pressure (300 psi) #10 hoses made up in the lengths you need.

I recommend stainless hose ends and fittings, or at a minimum, install them, and hose it down with a rattle can of paint.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
Thanks froggy , orielly does hydraulic hoses but they had no fittings lol I'm having same issue with powersteering hose , I'm resorting to making that myself with Earl's fittings

ps hose is #6, however 3000 psi hose. the same parker or goodyear hydraulic shop can fix you up.

for the back of the pump you will need a 5/8" sae inverted flare to #6 JIC (hard to find in stainless) about $6

you have to look at your actuator to see what threads are there.

earls aluminum fittings have no place on a boat.

I believe Central Hydraulics has a store in Daytona.