1989 15 HP Evinrude Electric Start

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner
Thread starter
Joined
Dec 20, 2009
Messages
13,269
Hey guys, I've come across a fella selling this 89 15hp Evinrude electric start outboard, long shaft. I'm thinking I may like it as a kicker for my 22' Islander.

What are your pro opinions on this vintage? Good? Are there better years to look for?

Thanks for the insight!:)
 

Whoopbass

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Joined
Jun 29, 2006
Messages
653
Re: 1989 15 HP Evinrude Electric Start

Where have you been during your 8000+ posts? The consensus here on the outboard your talking about is that its one of the finest outboards ever made.
 

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner
Thread starter
Joined
Dec 20, 2009
Messages
13,269
Re: 1989 15 HP Evinrude Electric Start

Actually in my readings I seem to remember something about the early 90's OB's being less than. Something to do with the shift mechanism, or plastic parts, or both - don't quite recall so I could be wrong on that. That's why I posted the Q as I wondered if this vintage was about like that. Or not, just looking for insight from the pros.

So, I appreciate your info and belittling. Always happy to take the good with the bad;)
 

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Joined
May 19, 2001
Messages
26,119
Re: 1989 15 HP Evinrude Electric Start

Any post 83 outboard will be be fine. That 15 will be a nice addition to your islander....... of course you have to get OUT ON THE WATER!!!!! and stop playing with your fleet in the yard!!! :)
 

jasoutside

Supreme Mariner
Thread starter
Joined
Dec 20, 2009
Messages
13,269
Re: 1989 15 HP Evinrude Electric Start

Yah, I hear ya Bob, though I did just throw away the glasser so the fleet is back down to 2:D Right where it needs to be;)

I'm shooting for a mid summer Islander float, lota work to do yet, but I'll get there:)
 
Top