1988 Yamha 25hp - Rev limiter? (Rodbolt?)

Snowdrggn

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Would anyone happen to know if this engine is equipped with a rev limiter? If so, at what rpm does it activate? I would like to limit the top speed of a small, light boat by prop selection, but not over rev the engine.

Any input would be appreciated.
Thank you in advance,
Snow.

Snowdrggn

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 1988 Yamha 25hp - Rev limiter? (Rodbolt?)

Let me clarify, I would have to under prop the motor quite a bit to keep the top speed down to a safe level, but do not want the motor to get damaged by an inexperienced operator. Installing a tach, or enforcing heeding it is not an option, as it is a tiller motor on an inflatable.
Thank you for any input,
Snow.

bigbrownbuku

Master Chief Petty Officer

i had to speed limit a fleet of v6's. i custom made throttle stops that i mounted on the engine to limit throttle travel. dont rely on the limiter.

deejaycee_2000

Captain

yes it has, probably around 6000 rpm, you can adjust your throttle stop to make it less .....

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

actually,I dont know.
but if you willcall the yamaha consumer help line ,have the engine model and seriel number, I am sure they can get an answer to your question. I see maybe 3 25 HP motors a year.some years less.
most every thing I see is V6 and twins or triples. little motors always make me read the F manual :):).

Snowdrggn

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks, I'll give that a try. I can't seem to get a straight answer from the dealer or the service manual.....

Cheers,
Snow.