1988 Sea ray Seville OB rebuild (with pics)

109jb

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 1988 Sea ray Seville OB rebuild (with pics)

109jb- great job. I am working on a 91 searay 17ft at this time. I just started cutting the floor up. I am planning on removing the cap and had a couple questions....

When you removed the cap, did you just drill out the rivets and lift it off?

Yep. Just drilled out all of those rivets and then lifted the cap off. Before I did anything I screwed a board across the front face of the 2 consoles to hold them in relation to one another.

Also, for the stringers..... were they glued in or did just the glass hold it? When you had it down to the shell replacing the stringers.... did you remove the floor for the ski locker/fuel tank or could you get the complete stringer out with leaving that in place.... or is this part of the actual hull itself?

thanks

On my boat the wood for the floor of the ski locker and fuel tank floor was not quite as wide as the distance between the stringers. I did not remove those floors because I figured they were isolated from everything else and I just didn't care if they were wet or rotted considering that they don't support much. There were 2 bulkheads that split those floor sections at the front and rear of the fuel tank compartment. How I handled those was to cut them off flush with the tank floor and then glassed over them with 1708 to separate the waterlogged bottom of the original bulkheads from the new pieces I added above them to replace what was cut off. Maybe not the best way, but is how I did it.

The stringers were cut and then glassed on both sides with 2 layers of CSM. This was done with them out of the boat and on sawhorses. I then bedded them to the hull with PL construction adhesive. I then glassed them to the hull with 2 layers of 6" wide 1708 on each side.

MTribe08

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Yep. 2 layers CSM on top, 1 layer CSM on bottom. The deck is tabbed to the hull with 1708. I used the rust-o-leum bedliner because I wanted to make darn sure it was sealed everywhere in case there were any pinholes or such in my layups.

Thanks! This is pretty much my fiberglass plan for the deck I will be putting in very shortly. I wasn't going to put down the Rust-O-Leum, but I'm thinking I might do that. I am going to replace the carpet in my ski locker with an oil based Rust-O-Leum paint, I think I'll throw a couple coats on the deck as well.

purpony

Seaman Apprentice

Yep. Just drilled out all of those rivets and then lifted the cap off. Before I did anything I screwed a board across the front face of the 2 consoles to hold them in relation to one another.

On my boat the wood for the floor of the ski locker and fuel tank floor was not quite as wide as the distance between the stringers. I did not remove those floors because I figured they were isolated from everything else and I just didn't care if they were wet or rotted considering that they don't support much. There were 2 bulkheads that split those floor sections at the front and rear of the fuel tank compartment. How I handled those was to cut them off flush with the tank floor and then glassed over them with 1708 to separate the waterlogged bottom of the original bulkheads from the new pieces I added above them to replace what was cut off. Maybe not the best way, but is how I did it.

The stringers were cut and then glassed on both sides with 2 layers of CSM. This was done with them out of the boat and on sawhorses. I then bedded them to the hull with PL construction adhesive. I then glassed them to the hull with 2 layers of 6" wide 1708 on each side.

Thanks for the info. My bulkheads are the same as yours. After I asked the question if the tank floor was part of the hull, it dawned on me its not since its hollow under it to allow the ski locker to drain. Hopefully tonight ill start pulling the rubrail off and drilling rivets.

Badweed

Seaman

I have the same boat as you, although mine is an 18 footer. I've ask a couple questions so far in my thread. Any help would be great.

109jb

Lieutenant Commander

I finally got around to taking some more pictures of the boat today.

DSC00062.jpg

DSC00064.jpg

DSC00065.jpg

puckhead

Cadet

Love the rebuild......I have been looking at the 16' 'Rays for a while. Could you give me the Coast Guard info for the boat?? Max weight and H.P?? I got a big family (5 kids, but, the youngest 3 combined aren't 100 lbs) and I'm looking for a lightweight OB bowrider so we have enough room, and, I wont have to replace my old 2-door Explorer as a tow vehicle. Thanks, sorry to hijack.

-T

109jb

Lieutenant Commander

Love the rebuild......I have been looking at the 16' 'Rays for a while. Could you give me the Coast Guard info for the boat?? Max weight and H.P?? I got a big family (5 kids, but, the youngest 3 combined aren't 100 lbs) and I'm looking for a lightweight OB bowrider so we have enough room, and, I wont have to replace my old 2-door Explorer as a tow vehicle. Thanks, sorry to hijack.

-T

I knoow off the top of my head that the persons capacity is 6, and the max horsepower rating is 125 hp. I'll have to check the weight capacity though.

puckhead

Cadet

Thank you......I would think the weight would be around 900ish. Although there are 7 of us, very rarely will all of us be in the boat. The youngest 3 (ages 8,6, and 3) don't weigh 100lbs combined. This will be our starter boat. I can't see us keeping it longer than 2-3 years and then buying a new tow vehicle wont be so much of an issue. Thanks again.

-T