1988 Dixie Boats 170 Bandit Alternator?

lonehunter

Recruit
I have a 1988 Dixie Boats 170 Bandit. The Model # on the engine is 302AMFTC. It appears someone has installed a car alternator on it. The # on the alt is 1100597 61A which crosses over to a 73-74 camero. According to my research the correct alt should be 0984565 by OMC which is not available. Looking on ebay/amozon I am seeing several different design alts with the same cross referenced #. None of which will accept the wiring connections now on the boat. What I have been told, is it should have a marine alt on it. Is that correct? Thanks in advance! Jeff

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,..... Welcome Aboard,.... The difference 'tween a Marine alternator, 'n automotive alternator is,....
All the vents have screens in 'em, on a Marine alternator,.....

No idea what all those part numbers refer too,....
'n in this forum, we don't care what the boat is,....
We need to know which motor, 'n which drive is in the boat,....

kenny nunez

Captain
Is it a1 wire alternator? IF it is then a Sierra Marine# 18-5956, no core required. The original alternator probably had an exterior regulator. The 1 wire style has it internally.

lonehunter

Recruit
Kenny, that's what I may go with. Do you just need the battery lead and a ground to make it work? The other connections are not needed?

kenny nunez

Captain
That is all you need. The alternator self excites it self by just punching the throttle 1 time for it to start charging.
Just tape off the unused leads.