1988 Crestliner/Nordic Phantom V170/ Ev 115Hp Lets Modernize

88phantom

Seaman
Re: 1988 Crestliner/Nordic Phantom V170/ Ev 115Hp Lets Modernize

Spent Most of Saturday working on a few things.. I built a bracket for the AM/FM Stereo/CD and a bracket for the Communications radio.

bracket.jpg

I repaired the glove box that had the bottom cut out of it and re-installed it.

glove.jpg

I installed a fold up table on the port side next to the First officer seat that folds up and sits on the fold-down fishing seat as a base. It is almost the same color as the boat, just a couple shades of grey different. I inspected the fuel vent lines and under the deck area. Everything looks pretty good. I have a couple broken welds in the battery hold area under the aft deck I will install some angle brackets and hardware to fix.

floor.jpg

I also ordered 1 Engel UC-30 cooler, I got it in today. I am quite pleased! it is the perfect size for fitting under each console as a cooler/warmer/drybox. After unpacking it I am quite pleased with it. Ready to take it out and use it! I will order another one next month.

uc30.jpg

In October just before our trip I will buy two new trailer tires and a boat cover. Not sure If I'll buy and expensive one or a cheap one. The cheap one
I had last time lasted three years. I wonder how long a good one would last?

Here is a little mockup for the CD and COM radios:

cd.jpg

com.jpg

88phantom

Seaman

I used a Whitney Punch to do most of my holes in the boat and the aluminum brackets. It is much faster and cleaner than a drill bit where it will fit.

punch.jpg

eyes4u

Seaman

Looking Good! I have a 1980 Nordic that I am just getting started with. So, I am following your post closely. What did you decide on the flooring? Vinyl or Carpet? Di you have to do any work on the transom? If so, how difficult was it to get the old transom out?

88phantom

Seaman

My transom seems to be in good shape. It looks hard to get to... having to cut the aluminum out. I think I would take it to a professional if you need one, unless you are good with metal work and a mig or tig welder to close it back up. I might drill some small sample holes out in a couple places if I thought it to be an issue, but at 20 years I think it is still servicable.

Since vacation time is coming fast and the project is long, I am going to just cover my new interior with matching blue carpet and grey vinyly or similar on the bench seat covers. Next year I will think about re-carpeting and repainting the stripe. Since we have only had a swimming season I want to see how the fall fishing goes with carpet before I decide between vinyl floor and carpeting. I really would rather have carpet as its more "comfy" feeling, but if mud is a big problem during fishing season with all the boys, I may reconsider that. We don't seems to have any problem with mud during swimming season. The only thing is you have to vacuum the carpet once a month or so.

88phantom

Seaman

I mentioned the fold up table in an above post, but I think it is cool enough to merit its own post and pictures. I use it every time we go out now to cook off of. We love to grill out at the swimming hole (our swimming hole is only accesible by boat at the nearby like) and I can stand in the water with the boat moored and use the new table and gunwhale to build burgers, hot dogs, and more! Sorry about the nasty looking grill- it has been used alot lately!

This shows the table in its folded down or "stowed" position.

table1.jpg

This shows the table folded up with the fishing seat folded down to serve as the "legs".

table2.jpg

This shows the table in use from the inside of the boat- Fishing mode:

table3.jpg

This shows the table in use from the outside of the boat- Swimming mode:

table4.jpg

So I think you get the idea!

Yacht Dr.

Vice Admiral

Hello 88..

Nice work m8..

Just one tiny suggestion if I can..

Instead of your "fold" table ( which would eliminate one seat for use when up ) mebbe find a "pole" mount that you could fasten to your gunwale ..then place a removable "angle pole table" into that mount.

That way you can use that port seat as a cookie spot..and your "swimming mode" would not change much..

If you get my Idea correctly..

OH..and one other thing.. Is that Port side deck fill ( behind your Stove pics ) a Fuel ? or water fill ?? I see a vent .. If its the former..you may want to consider doing this mod on the Stbd side behind your drivers seat ( or off the trans which might not be a bad idea ).

Cheers YD.

88phantom

Seaman

Its actually "Fishing mode" that is most affected by the seat being out of service. Your idea is good as far as taking back the seat, but I don't want to have to stow the table when not in use by packing it into my other storage areas. This one was used with materials on hand and sets up and breaks down in seconds. Tradeoff I guess. Due to the long bench seats either side aft I can't move it back, and Starboard side engine controls are in the way. Thanks for the idea, it is worth noting.

As for the fuel vent, I started a thread elsewhere about this, and my determination is to move the fuel vent. I will repipe it about 6 feet aft. Just haven't got there yet. I tried to move the vent underfoot, but it didn't work so I will run the hose under the gunwhale a ways to the new vent spot. The fill tank tube is up in front of the console area.

Silent Rider

Recruit

Hello Crestliner owners,

I just acquired a 1992 Crestliner Phantom II 216. Can anyone direct me to where I can get specifications for this boat?

Need to know what is its hull thickness.

Also would like to know what performance increase will be gained if the 150 hp Mercury is upgraded to 200 hp.

Having hole shot and planing problem with this boat, it also does porpoise like effect over waves!

S M

Recruit

Hi Phantom

Was following your thread last fall and was wondering if you changed out the windshield yet - if so, how did it work? I have 17 sportfish and wouldn't mind doing the same thing. windshield is just too low. Liking all your ideas so far hopefully we will see more this spring?

88phantom

Seaman

thanks for the comments guys life just busy and not much done to the boat... that and I lost my password for a long time.

got it back now!