1988 Crestliner/Nordic Phantom V170/ Ev 115Hp Lets Modernize

88phantom

Seaman
Here is a project thread about updating our newly purchased (Nordic) Crestliner Phantom V170. We bought the boat in Tulsa, Oklahoma for under 4K and I have determined that it was sold new/spent much of its life in the IL/MO area. It measures 17' 6" or so from aft gunwhale to tip of the bow. It came with convertible fishing decks fore and aft, well used (but not torn up) navy blue carpet and a light grey base with a medium blue stripe. The factory upholstery is still installed as of purchase and we are removing some of it to convert our fish and ski to a family fish/camp/ski rig. The boat is listed as a 7 Passenger or 900lbs. (1425 with motor I believe.) This photo shows the boat with the windshield Bimini gone and the trolling motor removed. I want a full bimini and am redoing the trolling motor mount.

profile1.jpg

profile2.jpg

The Outboard is a 1997 Evinrude 115HP 2 Cycle with an older 1981/82 model powerhead replacement installed. I suspect someone ran the 97' low on oil and toasted it. The older power head has compression running around 115 on the left bank and 100 on the right bank before any decarbonization has been done.

rear1.jpg

The Trolling motor is a Minn Kota, it works good except for a bent chassis shaft, I am going to see if it can be straightened out by a shop.

Sonar: Basic Hummingbird with MONO screen. No frills, except it has GPS input optional. Will work fine for now, maybe upgrade in a year or two.

718.jpg

The Plan: throw away the old foldout bench/platform in back, change out the convertible fishing deck in front to a full fishing deck with lots of storage, add a bimini top, a boat cover, new trailer tires, change the trim color to Evinrude midnight blue, install new battery boxes, rebuild the wiring harness and clean it up, change out the cheap stereo and add a communications radio, add onboard coolers, add a GPS and maybe a tablet PC dock, install some side by side seating in the aft port and starboard area, add an aux fuel tank, upgrade the anchor and put in a winch, upgrade the gauges and instrument panel. Finally, repaint the engine and perform a full tune up and de-carbonization and fix any issues I may find along the way. Adding a whale tail and a newer prop would be desirable.

I would like to replace the windshield with a more modern one at some point. The current one restricts visibility where the sides meet the front and it is too short for me.

Something like this:

window.jpg

Attachments

• CIMG0088.jpg
    CIMG0088.jpg
    152.7 KB · Views: 5
  • CIMG0090.jpg
    CIMG0090.jpg
    141 KB · Views: 4
  • CIMG0087.jpg
    CIMG0087.jpg
    146.1 KB · Views: 3
  • CIMG0086.jpg
    CIMG0086.jpg
    135.9 KB · Views: 3
  • CIMG0084.jpg
    CIMG0084.jpg
    148.1 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:

McGR

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1988 Crestliner/Nordic Phantom V170/ Ev 115Hp Lets Modernize

Nice looking Crestliner there. Lots of potential. You may want to try greatlakesskipper.com for new glass. They are sort of a boat parts liquidator and often have modern style windshields. Your hull looks very similar to my 1995 Sportfish 1650 (http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=362861). Most of the lines look the same except for the glass.

88phantom

Seaman

Thanks, it isn't in too bad of shape. The original interior probably would have satisfied most users, but I wanted to freshen up and give it a more modern color scheme. Storage is not very good, so we are going to try and get creative. We have a family of 6.

I just looked at the finished result of your project, it looks great. Now if I can just get some more time to work on mine...

Last edited:

88phantom

Seaman

With respect to re-decking the floor: What is available out there? I have a couple of sheets of standard outdoor grade treated 3/4" plywood, is that OK to use? Or is there some special marine grade stuff I need to use (like will the standard treated plywood corrode aluminum?)

I am also interested in other people's non-carpet surface for the floor. I thought about the new vinyl stuff, but am thinking more along the lines of spray on bedliner... except I want grey, not black.

Anyone have better ideas to remove the carpet glue from the hull than a rag and MEK?

Last edited:

88phantom

Seaman

Well, no responses on my questions, but there are so many posters its easy to lose the topics on this forum.

I have just been using the boat the last two months as is, enjoying taking the family out. But maintenance calls, and I spent most of the evening today working on fixing my battery charger so I could charge my dead battery and then I downloaded a wiring diagram for a 1981 Evinrude/Johnson engine and started trying to install the new rectifier diode pack I bought at the marine store today to try and fix the charging problem. Turns out the engine did not even have a rectifier on it and the device I thought was the rectifier was the voltage regulator. I am beginning to find out it is a pain to have a powerhead of a different year model than the lower unit. The documentation and wiring is difficult to figure out when switching back and forth from year to year, because I think the control cables are probably the same year as the lower unit. But anyway, I am still working on fixing up all the wiring and found at least one thing on the wiring that was different than the diagram and I am not sure what to do with. There is a tan wire that runs from the ignition switch and goes across the enigne harness over the the terminal block on the pilot side (right side facing forward) . I have wired up the rectifier and redone most of the order of the wires on the terminal block because the were mostly wrong.

Looks like about $197 for carpeting in the boat, I am thinking about Mica Mist, kindoff a greyish brown.

I am in contact with the windshield company and am supposed to pull the windsheild this weekend and see if I can get a nerw fish and ski style glass made for the boat.

I'll have more info and pics as I go on. Here is one on the water..

crestlr.jpg

Last edited:

jimdd810

Chief Petty Officer

good start keep going and good luck!

88phantom

Seaman

Although not a project for this summer, I am thinking about repainting. The current boat base color is light grey but not as whitish grey or smoky grey as the new Crestliner colors. See the Sport angler: http://www.crestliner.com/sport-angler-sport-fishing-boat/ I'm thinking that maybe I will use the newer paint scheme, keep my old base color for simplicity, and paint the new stripe design using Evinrude's midnight blue, so my motor will match the stripe. Then, if I can update the windshield, remount my trolling motor etc.. it should look rather modern, Ehh?

What do you guys think?

McGR

That sounds like a good plan. That's fairly similar to what I did on my Crestliner. On the blue on my boat, I used the Rustoleum Topside navy paint. It matched up very nicely with the Evinrude blue.

Good to see you moving along with your project. Be sure to post pics as you make progress.

88phantom

Seaman

Is your paint scheme original for your year model McGR? Did you use white for your base coat, I forgot..

88phantom

Seaman

I Took the boat down to the lake today after I finished working on the wiring and the alternator is now charging! Puts out about 10 Amps at full throttle, and only about 1 amp at idle. It is a great sense of security when your batteries are being charged while boating! My Dad is picking up some Champion plugs and I will pull the NGK's out on iboaters' recomendations. I still have a miss that is getting worse, I think maybe I have a weak coil or a carb out of adjusment. I guess I will pull the plugs and do a compression test monday when I get the Champs. Hopefully I just need a couple new coils, I have a couple of rough looking ones. I think I want a ski tow bar now after seeing one on the new crestliner site. It looks like a handy place for antennas as well as towing, and is out of the way of a new bimini that should come along this winter.

McGR

Is your paint scheme original for your year model McGR? Did you use white for your base coat, I forgot..

The basic pattern on my hull is original for my model year. I didn't paint the whole hull, just the sides and transom. I started with white for the base coat then painted the blue pattern. I did change the blue from the original teal blue (very popular in the mid-90s) to the Rustoleum navy blue.

mark1961

Ensign

OK, so I am almost ready to re-deck the floor. What is available out there? I have a couple of sheets of standard outdoor grade treated 3/4" plywood, is that OK to use? Or is there some special marine grade stuff I need to use (like will the standard treated plywood corrode aluminum?)

Not sure if the stuff you already have would be suitable or not, you might have to check into that but,

Exterior grade coated with fibreglass resin for durability seems to be what most opt for, marine grade is just too dam pricey. Avoid pressure treated as it usually will corrode aluminium.

88phantom

Seaman

Thanks for the tip. I have the pressure treated lumber. I wonder if I could use it but install a foam strip or something in between all aluminum contact points? Just seems a shame to go out and buy expensive plywood when I already have some from another project...

mark1961

Ensign

Thanks for the tip. I have the pressure treated lumber. I wonder if I could use it but install a foam strip or something in between all aluminum contact points? Just seems a shame to go out and buy expensive plywood when I already have some from another project...

Someone here will be able to guide you on that but i would also be fearful it might leach out when wet. Sealing with fibreglass resin may solve that issue but do your homework before proceeding with what you have, thats a helluva nice boat to end up as swiss cheese. :)

88phantom

Seaman

Well, been out to the lake a few more times and have the inside wiring all stripped out and laying everywhere. I also got the compression tester out and found I have 115, 115, 98, 95 lbs. The two last ones seem low, but the pistons inside are not shiny, I think it may have been a very long time since the last decarbonizing was done. I have been doing alot of internet surfing, looking at various gauges, coolers, anchors, steering wheels, biminis, pumps, and you-name its for the boat. I even spent an hour and a half at bass pro shops pricing a long list of stuff.

So far this month I have gathered up a couple new things:
*Ham (Amateur Radio) transciever for 2 meters and opened up to transmit on the marine channels for use on Channel 9 and 16 mainly and to receive NOAA weather radio. (I do have a Ham License, callsign KD5EJO). Also have an antenna and coax.

icom2100h.jpg

*Pulled my Pioneeer CD player out of my old Toyota Truck and slated it for use in the boat.

6700.jpg

*Mounting my Lowrance Airmap 500 Aviation GPS on the Sonar dash to provide a GPS input to the sonar.

air500.jpg

* Pulled out two Aluminum rectangular boxes out of storage that used to be part of industrial equipment but are just the right size after some modifying for two rear bench seats complete with hinged lid storage. Will seat 4 adult or 6 children plus lots of storage. Need to snap some photos of these.

I have been looking at carpet and marine vinyl floors, I wonder if anyone has any comments on the vinyl? Seems like a good idea- easy to clean but will it hold water underneath and rot out your plywood?

I did some cleaning up around my fuel tank input and pulled the sending unit. Turns out, when I have been thinking the tank is full, it is really only half full. For some reason when you get to half full, it burps fuel back up the filling hose. For some reason the venting system doesn't seem to be working right while fueling. The gas gauge had always read 1/2 tank when I thought it was full, and it turns out the gauge was correct.

Jordeez98

Seaman

Boat looks great...seems you're having a blast working on it.

I see you mentioned carpet and vinyl..for me i'm not to keen on either, because of holding water..Also vinyl, i just think wil get to slippery :)

So far my plan for my deck is a treated wood and a fiberglass resin as mentioned..But first i have to get the old wood out, 'eh ...lol

Love to see some more photo's of the modified locations, with the aluminum boxes used..

88phantom

Seaman

I will get some ore photos as the project progresses. The Vinyl flooring I'm talking about looks like carpet in appearance, it is used in New boats and can be mistaken for carpet. Usually white/grey mottled color. It's not slippery.

I agree about the holding water part, we want to install a bimini top to minimize "flooding: inside the boat.

Jordeez98

Seaman

Ok i see what you mean about the vinyl flooring. yea makes better sense :)

I considered after sealing the wood coating it with rhino lining or herculiner..not sure this is a good idea. I would think it could add a good bit of weight.

My cousin did it to his old checkmate after he patched up the soft spots. Looked pretty nice. but not real sure how well it adheres to wood, since its normally used in truck beds (i will be doing to my jeep tub tho)

88phantom

Seaman

Ya, they make that stuff in new boats now too. All depends on what you want to do. I like having carpet now that we use the boat alot, but I do not like how it holds water.

88phantom

Seaman
Re: 1988 Crestliner/Nordic Phantom V170

Re: 1988 Crestliner/Nordic Phantom V170

OK here is the beginning of my rear bench seat units with fold up lids. Lots of storage in these dudes. They are old Transmitter cavities. That means they used to be part of a radio transmitter- a big one.

buildbench.jpg

Here is the detail on how close to the aft deck:

sideseat.jpg

I'll post some more tomorrow after I get some more work done.