1988 BlueFin Sportsman... project.. where do I start?

Pvillefball421 BLUFF:
Barnacle Issue- Try a test area: Soak a dollar store wash cloth in white vinegar. Apply to DRY barnacles. Let it sit for a few hours, but don't let it dry out. Then hit them with a stiff plastic brush and/or that pressure washer of your. Warm vinegar works technically works faster.

Bow Seats: Be careful what grade/ quality of plywood you use. I have seen threads where (after time) the chemicals in regular plywood corroded holes through the transom sheeting.

I do not know if the left over barnacle rings are on bare or painted areas of the aluminum, but I understand not wanting to etch or otherwise discolor the aluminum with commercial acids/ cleaners. They do make cleaners specifically for aluminum so you wouldn't have to worry about ruining the metal. At the end of the day though, barnacle shells are just calcium carbonate (calcite). If you have time, and large amounts of vinegar, you can remove any remaining shells organically. The only risk here is turning your boat into a pickle. I use vinegar often on old fishing reels I find and it works wonders. I know you won't be able to find enough vinegar and a vat large enough to float the boat in though. The tough part of using vinegar is ensuring contact for a LONG time. If you can't flip the hull upside down, the cloth should increase contact time.

Thank you for the ideas!!! I most likely wont be rebuilding any major parts on this. You just brought up a very good point, I was going to pickup free bad weather carpets a neighbor had. Then realized bad weather in ny means snow and salt, therefore i cant use on the boat unless I clean first.

This morning I was able to get all the barnacles on the bottom sides of boat off just with pressure washer. on the hull they are certainly tougher, I did notice some pitting on the aluminum so again not sure/not happy with what to do here.

Fishcall1570

Cadet
Pvillefball421 BLUF: I have only ever really heard/seen Muggy Weld rods for pits/holes in aluminum.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ovPj84CHAU0
​​​​​
@2:00 - Discussion of unsealed treated plywood corroding aluminum.

@7:45 - Resin coating (any plywood) new transom.

@10:15 - Discussion and demonstartion of Muggy Weld rods.

I do not have any experience using these alloy rods. I can only relay what I have seen in the Tiny Boat Nation videos. It is nice that welding equipement or experience is not needed. Under the assumption that he gets paid to repair/mod other people's boats, it must be some form of acceptable/standard practice. I know this is not the only option but I have not found a thread on here yet that dives deeper into this issue (I am sure one exists, just haven't found it.)

I plan on sealing/coating any wood I put into our project. Transom, decks, seats, accents...anything. Also, try to be mindful of placing dissimilar metals in contact (fasteners). If you don't already know, it will induce/ facilitate corrosion.
​​​​​​​
Its easy to trust information online but I am still searching for the verification part. Hopefully someone else will tune in and either point you/us to the right thread or offer their opinion.