1988 Blue Fin Sportsman 17'

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikeredding

Cadet
Just picked this baby up for $1100. Hull and trailer in great shape. Johnson 70 runs but isn't pumping water so I guess it's time to learn how to put a new impeller kit in. The steering cable is froze up. I suspect it is in the sleeve on the motor bracket. If I am lucky I will be able to break it free.
Other than that it is all cosmetic stuff. I think I got a screamin deal. I was first in line to look at it and the guy said there were 18 others waiting after me.

100_2641.jpg

100_2642.jpg

100_2643.jpg

triumphrick

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 1988 Blue Fin Sportsman 17'

We just sold an 86 we had picked up that was immculate..got $3800 for it! Seems like a good deal. that lower unit is easily removed and the impeller is an easy change out. The teleflex cable will unblolt and using a block of wood you can force it and get it to move. If really stuck, a little heat on the steering tube will help break down that old grease and get it out. Use a drill with a brake cylinder hone and some mineral spirts on it to work that old crud out of there..they do sell a fitting that connects to the tube that allows you to grease it periodically. Fun little boat and a good motor. You did real well!!

Here is a link to my post when i got mine....

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=296063

Huron Angler

Admiral

Nice find, congrats:) I got a similar deal on my 16' SS, $1000 for boat, trailer and 80hp Merc. Good luck with the new rig:D

mikeredding

Cadet

We just sold an 86 we had picked up that was immculate..got $3800 for it! Seems like a good deal. that lower unit is easily removed and the impeller is an easy change out. The teleflex cable will unblolt and using a block of wood you can force it and get it to move. If really stuck, a little heat on the steering tube will help break down that old grease and get it out. Use a drill with a brake cylinder hone and some mineral spirts on it to work that old crud out of there..they do sell a fitting that connects to the tube that allows you to grease it periodically. Fun little boat and a good motor. You did real well!!

Scroll down in this BlueFin heading and you will see my posts on my '86...

Thanks for the info. I am going to pull the lower unit off today and see if I just need an impeller kit or the whole kit with new housing. Probably going to replace it all. The previous owner said he had never replaced any of it in his 10 years of owning it.

Wish me luck on breaking the cable loose. It has been sitting for over 2 years and has a lot of rust on the shaft going into the tube. If I can just get it broke loose and out of there I will probably be able to clean it up and salvage it. Would definitely save me a few bucks.

mikeredding

Cadet

Wish me luck on breaking the cable loose. It has been sitting for over 2 years and has a lot of rust on the shaft going into the tube. If I can just get it broke loose and out of there I will probably be able to clean it up and salvage it. Would definitely save me a few bucks.

Well with a lot of heat, elbow grease and love I was able to get it out. I was very surprised that I didn't damage it. Cleaned it up, lubed and back together. Wooohooo!!!

Now water pump time and she will be usable although I still have some small repairs and a lot of cosmetic work ahead of me.

Bluegills Unlimited

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thats basically the exact boat I bought last year for $2,000. Bought it from the original owner. Really good condition for a 1988. Mine has the 85hp Force.

The only thing I don't like is how low the driver seat is. I have to sit on top of two throwables to get to a comfortable height, and I am not a short guy. Did you notice that?

mikeredding

Cadet

Thats basically the exact boat I bought last year for $2,000. Bought it from the original owner. Really good condition for a 1988. Mine has the 85hp Force.

The only thing I don't like is how low the driver seat is. I have to sit on top of two throwables to get to a comfortable height, and I am not a short guy. Did you notice that?

No it's not a problem in mine, in fact I am just the opposite. Mine have had pedestals installed and they are too tall. My head is about 1.5' above the windshield.

Louis7en

Recruit

I have the same boat that I got free and put a old Merc 80 hp motor on it for free. Although it was in rough shape when I got it. I ripped the windshield off and took out the passenger consol to make it better to fish out of. I just replaced my steering cable and it made a huge difference. I have a question for you though. Can you tell me what the US Coast Guard Sticker says for max HP?

Huron Angler

Admiral

Free boat?!? Free 80hp Merc?!?!

What am I doing wrong? I thought I got a good deal:p

Congrats...what year is the Merc?

Louis7en

Recruit

My brother-in-law bought the boat for the motor which he put on his new pontoon. The boat sat in his yard for 3 years and my sister was sick of looking at it, so she said I could have it. The motor is a 1978 Merc Thunderbolt 800 (80hp). My friend who went in on half the cost worked at Cabela's and they were going to sell it to him for $100, but never billed him for it plus they mounted it for free and gave us a free gas tank. It was off an older gentleman's boat who upgraded. It runs great. I guess I kind of got lucky. Thanks for the info on the max hp. iboats said it was 50 hp and I thought I'd get in trouble with an 80 hp motor on it, but I should be ok.

Huron Angler

Admiral

My '79 16' SS is rated for 85 as well and is basically the same hull.

samiam2

Recruit
mikeredding...I was just gifted the same boat and trailer. The trailer has no title or id tag. What the make and model of your trialer? Thank you...Sam

jbcurt00

Staff member
mikeredding...I was just gifted the same boat and trailer. The trailer has no title or id tag. What the make and model of your trialer? Thank you...Sam

Mike hasnt been back in over 7yrs, not likely to get or reply to your query, hence the 90day inactivity guideline

Closed

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

You really should start a new thread with your questions instead of re-opening old threads. Threads get closed like this one or your posts are deleted for not observing our 90 day rule mentioned by JB.

Status
Not open for further replies.