1988 Bayliner Capri 1950 Resto Begins

boatrup

Seaman Apprentice
Had a couple hours after work today to continue on the teardown. I really hate those back to back seat boxes. What a pain it was to remove them, but I got the driver side box out now. All the decking in the center area of the boat is now removed. I'll tear down the stern section of the boat tomorrow. I am hoping to begin placing the new stringers and transom in a couple weeks.

Anyone have pictures of their redesigned engine compartment and seating area? I'm thinking of making it a bit larger, maybe setting it up for removable upper side cushions. I like the idea of the big padded area on the back, as long as the side sections are removable to turn back into corner seats.

boatrup

Seaman Apprentice
So, I've decided to also put an additional layer of glass in the entire hull. Mostly to add some thickness and strength in case I grind a bit too much and create thin spots.
Should I use 1708 for this?

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
View attachment 388440View attachment 388441
Its been a lot of work just to get this far. So much more tear down left to do. It's honestly difficult to keep myself convinced that the boat is worth all the time, money and effort.
Interesting observation, the transom had definitely been replaced before. It wasn't very well done though.
Get every pc. of that leftover out. The glass back will be the bond with the new work.

boatrup

Seaman Apprentice
I am about to order my fiberglass supplies. I ordered a small amount of Coosa for the transom and motor mounts. I might be ordering a bit too much fiberglass, but we'll see. 20 yards by 50" for each roll of chopped mat and 1708. 5 gallons of laminating resin, 5 gallons of finishing resin. A big box of 1/4" chopped fibers, 3 gallon containers of Cabosil. 2 gallons of gel coat.

Bad part, looks like October may turn out to be a not so warm month. So, September may be the last month of working on the boat.

boatrup

Seaman Apprentice
Another question for you all. Maybe should ask in a separate thread.
I want to put a larger fuel tank in. everywhere I look they don't provide a proper drawing. My stringer height is just under 7", I could of course raise it a bit, but I don't want to go too tall. The tanks all show a height about 10" to 13", but I'm not sure if that is referring to the side against the stringer or from the top to bottom of the V.
Any tips on trying to find a properly fitting tank? I want at least 50 gallons.

todhunter

Canoeist
Don't buy finishing resin. Just buy laminating resin and a small container of wax and make your own finishing resin when you need it. I bought 50 yd of 1708 and 50 yd of CSM. I used about 30-35 yd of the 1708 and about 20 yd of the CSM on my 19 ft boat. You will end up needing more than 10 gallons of resin, but starting with 10 is a good idea. You don't want to buy it all up front and let it sit for a long time without using it. You'll probably also need some 2-part pourable foam.

boatrup

Seaman Apprentice
Don't buy finishing resin. Just buy laminating resin and a small container of wax and make your own finishing resin when you need it. I bought 50 yd of 1708 and 50 yd of CSM. I used about 30-35 yd of the 1708 and about 20 yd of the CSM on my 19 ft boat. You will end up needing more than 10 gallons of resin, but starting with 10 is a good idea. You don't want to buy it all up front and let it sit for a long time without using it. You'll probably also need some 2-part pourable foam.
Thank you, that's great info. I'll order bigger rolls of glass. I plan to order the foam once I start laying the deck. I can't be sure I'll be ready for foam before the temperature cools too much. I'm fighting the clock here lol. I might be able to use the shop at work during the cold months, but I'm not sure my boss would be happy about raising the thermostat. He usually keeps it at about 50f. I know that as long as no equipment is taking up the shop he'll have no problem, but raising the temps, that actually costs a lot. Especially with natural gas prices being crazy high now.

huggyb1972

Petty Officer 1st Class
I did it that way. Cut close then took the peice out. then grind. Took forever but i never hurt the hull.
Some times you have to dig with a spoon. Captain kirk said to Scotty "Go slow so as to not make mistakes that everyone will think your a genius"

Our someing along those lines.

boatrup

Seaman Apprentice
Well, sorry to say it but this project is not going to get finished. I ran into a great deal on a 22' Cobalt. Ended up costing less than the resto would have cost.