1987 Regal Velocity

Boz585

Recruit
Hello guys i just bought a 1987 regal velocity 23 foot boat has a 350 Chevy engine V8, My issue im having is the boat takes forever to get out of the hole, it does a wheelie for a good solid minute before the boat drops down a bit in the front and starts gaining speed, i can hit 50 mph no issues once it gets going, i have a 21 Pitch 3 blade prop, Could this be my issue? What prop do you guys recommend me put on the boat to fix my issue, Thanks!

Attachments

• boat 2.jpg
    boat 2.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 6
  • boat.jpg
    boat.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 6
  • boat 4.jpg
    boat 4.jpg
    4.7 MB · Views: 5
  • boat 3.jpg
    boat 3.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 6

alldodge

Staff member
Most likely the chopper prop is the issue

At WOT what rpm are you turning?
What is the drive ratio?
Is your speed coming from the boat gauge or a gps?

Boz585

Recruit
Most likely the chopper prop is the issue

At WOT what rpm are you turning?
What is the drive ratio?
Is your speed coming from the boat gauge or a gps?
I will have to check next time i am on the water
No clue what my drive ratio is, I am very new to boating
Speed is coming from the boat guage

tpenfield

Staff member
Not much blade area on that prop, so change it up to a more traditional design of prop.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
Just guessing but suggest a 21 3blade
Go to the top of this page get in PARTS, Props, fill in the blanks on your boat and you will be provided with a list of potential props. Look around for Turning Point (brand) Hustler (model) to find the 21P 3 blade.

Call up iboats and check to ensure that it's "Ported"...little holes under the leading edge of the prop which give you a great hole shot. There are other props out there but this is an excellent aluminum prop and a great price and if you miss in your (alldodges) first guess you're only out about a hundred bucks and a little time.

Boz585

Recruit
Me neighbor has a stainless steel 19pitch 3 blade prop said it would work great for my boat but would lose a little top speed

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Hi. Agree with what’s been said. This prop is not usually suitable for a boat like this. Not at all. They don’t behave well on boats like this really.
50 mph is likely a couple mph or so more optimistic than the gps reality. If you want to do some calculations to get the prop set up as close to suitable as possible. You’ll need some exact numbers usually.
shoukd I take a guess at a starter prop to try, without all the maths and experimenting...if she is a 1.5 ratio, I’d start at a 19” normal and reliably behaved prop like a 3 blade black max or laser 2 or similar. If the ratio is lower than that...21”. But most likely you’ll be not far off with a 19” or an inch or so less.

Boz585

Recruit
Hi. Agree with what’s been said. This prop is not usually suitable for a boat like this. Not at all. They don’t behave well on boats like this really.
50 mph is likely a couple mph or so more optimistic than the gps reality. If you want to do some calculations to get the prop set up as close to suitable as possible. You’ll need some exact numbers usually.
shoukd I take a guess at a starter prop to try, without all the maths and experimenting...if she is a 1.5 ratio, I’d start at a 19” normal and reliably behaved prop like a 3 blade black max or laser 2 or similar. If the ratio is lower than that...21”. But most likely you’ll be not far off with a 19” or an inch or so less.
Appreciate the response, i will be on the boat this saturday and get exact numbers for you guys, i am going to try my neighbors 3 blade prop 19 Pitch and see how she does with that on.

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Appreciate the response, i will be on the boat this saturday and get exact numbers for you guys, i am going to try my neighbors 3 blade prop 19 Pitch and see how she does with that on.
Good idea. You won’t be far off with that. At the very least, I’d be 99% sure you’d be within an inch or two of what it needs anyway. Just know that if it’s a 1.5 ratio alpha, then even the quickest of hulls would struggle to run a 21” with your engine. Even a 19” might be a few hundred rpm off the top of the rpm range perhaps. 50/50.