1987 Gemini Bass Boat Resto

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1987 Gemini Bass Boat Resto

Hey Sperry,

The Link in Post#5 is about as good as they get when it comes to restoration of a Bass Boat. One thing I want to point out to you and it is not meant to try and discourage you in any way. It is totally meant to be a "Reality Check" that anyone thinking of doing a Boat Restoration should have from a total honest point of view. Here's the Real Facts. LIFE ALWAYS GETS IN THE WAY!!! That's the Truth. If you Fail to Plan your Plan WILL FAIL!!! And even the Best Plans will always have Detours and have to be put on Hold and time schedules will never seem to go the way you plan. It just seems to work that way. Cost's always seem to be more than you think and usually are Double of what you budgeted for. In my case I thought I'd be done in 3-4 months and it took me 2 1/2 years. Mine was ONLY Cosmetics. No Major Tear Down!!!! But I AM OLD!!!!!:eek: And ANAL!!!!:D You CAN do the work, that's NOT an issue. But there's a LOT of head scratchin, and indecision, and research, and sickness, and wives, and moms and dads, and work, and yards, friends and dogs and whatevers and wherefores that you just can't foresee that WILL take you away from the project. Soooo, having said all this, take a DEEP BREATH and just be prepared for the Long Haul and remember that when you're done, you can step back and say...Look what I DID!!! She's BETTER than NEW!!!!

greenbush future

Lieutenant Commander

To add what wood has offered, "mistakes are really expensive", but if you go slow, and ask detailed documented questions here, you will not have many at all. This job can be done, the tear down and grinding is the worst part. Once you are reconstructing, it gets much more exciting.

sperry6591

Cadet

So its been cold, snowy, and .. cold. But its hard to sit back, look out the window, with all these ideas running through my head. I decided to venture out into the cold, and hide myself away under the boat cover and explore. While what seemed like digging for ancient artifacts, I discovered a total of 4 rotted stringers as well as a hose running down the center or keel? of the boat. I think it runs to the mini bait well located at the bow of the boat but thats just my best guess. It seems as if there was some sort of housing encasing the hose.. But cant make out what it may be.. I have attached a couple pictures to help give you an idea.

Attachments

• floor12345.jpg
    floor12345.jpg
    148.7 KB · Views: 0
  • baitwell123.jpg
    baitwell123.jpg
    149.2 KB · Views: 0

sperry6591

Cadet

Found this picture of glassing stringers.. I have the fiberglass cloth part down, now what do you add to it to harden it? Also how do you apply it, roller or brush, does it really matter? Thanks.

Attachments

• glassingstringers.jpg
    glassingstringers.jpg
    146.9 KB · Views: 0

sperry6591

Cadet

Thanks for the article def. helped a bit.. What is peanut butter?

Okay so I think I have this down.. time for a recap..

1. Construct a stand to hold the cap of the boat once off, as well as a stand for motor.
2. Take measurements / pictures then take off motor + everything else, and take off the rubrail, and take out the screws/rivets, and lift cap off of boat, and place on stand(s).
3. Take Measurements / Pictures and fasten straps around the hull to prevent the hull from flexing, take more measurements and pictures (Stringers)
4.Suit up,(Full face respirator, tyvek suit, hood, booties, gloves) and dive in, (dremel / sawsall) take more measurements and pictures and then begin cutting out all of the rot/bad stringers.
5. Construct new stringers based on measurements / templates utilizing douglas fir lumber, and place them into the hull for changes / alterations.
6.Take more measurements and pictures, clean with acetone, sand, clean again.
7. After all measurements are correct, place "peanut butter" along the path of where the stringer will lay, lay the stringer down.
8. Take measurements / pictures and insure everything checks out.
9. Utilize 1708 fiberglass, and lay over the top so that it lays 4'' extending from the stringer onto the hull on either side. (Stringer totally wrapped)
10. Soak in West Marine Epoxy, and spread using a roller/brush, until fiberglass absorbs epoxy.
11. add another layer of 1708 fiberglasss and lay over the top so that it lays 6'' extending from the bottom of the stringer onto the hull on either side. (stringer totally wrapped)
12. Repeat until all stringers are in place, and wrapped.
13. Place cap back on boat, take measurements and pictures, secure cap to hull and place rubrail back on.

Key Materials -
1708 Fiberglass
West Marine Epoxy
Douglas Fir Lumber

This is what I have so far.. please correct me thanks!

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

You have a PM

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

The epoxy from the guy in NH is cheaper and same quality as the west system

sperry6591

Cadet

Thanks, I am determined to restore this 87' Gemini and will do whatever it takes to do so, I dont really have much of a choice, $900 down the drain = unhappy wife :facepalm: I want something to show for my purchase, and $ is no issue, so im all in on this project all or nothing, and excited for the excellent learning experience, time to git er done!

Key Materials:

-Basic No blush 1.5 gallon 2 part epoxy
-Cabosil Fumed Silica (Filler)
-1708 Fiberglass 8'' x 125 YD roll

these will be my work horse ingredients.. about right? or way off?

jbcurt00

Staff member

2part epoxy = Part1 resin + Part2 hardener

Your 1.5gal kit is probably (guessing at the quantities, it's definitely resin + hardener) 1gal of resin to 1/2gal hardener.

[SIZE=-1]
new.gif
[/SIZE]Epoxy Information (FAQ)[SIZE=-1][/SIZE][SIZE=-1](Answers to some of the most frequently asked questions[/SIZE][SIZE=-1])[/SIZE][SIZE=-1]
new.gif

US Comp epoxy info ^^^
[/SIZE]
You don't have any full width (50"+ wide) glass, not sure 8" fiberglass tape is wide enough, depending on what & how you'll fiberglass your new work.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

With epoxy you don't use 1708. It has mat sewn to it and epoxy does not use mat. If you use epoxy you only use Biax Fabric 17 oz. You don't need to use epoxy. Poly will work but if you do use epoxy then just use the fabric without the mat.

sperry6591

Cadet

Just wanted to mention, after countless hours of youtube, and reading threads on here until my eyes bleed, and anxiously waiting for responses to my posts.. Im finally starting to get over the "What the h*ll have I gotten myself into this time" feeling, dont get me wrong, I'm still out of the loop but learning. I'm no expert or professional boat builder but with the help of everyone here I can def. say im more confident in this build than I was yesterday. Thanks again, cant wait to post some pictures of a complete restore.. VERY MOTIVATING, and I havent even started yet! :)

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

That's the stuff. Is there a reason you've decided to use Epoxy instead of Polyester Resin?

sperry6591

Cadet

Decided to use epoxy over poly because majority of people ive asked have suggested to use epoxy over poly.

sperry6591

Cadet

And so it began...

Attachments

• rubrail1.jpg
    rubrail1.jpg
    140.4 KB · Views: 0
  • rubrail2.jpg
    rubrail2.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 0

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

All I can tell you is the majority of restorations here on the forum are done with Poly. Epoxy will take almost twice as long for you to complete. It is very difficult to do vertical layups, i.e. stringers and transom, it takes 2-3 times longer for it to cure, it's almost twice as expensive and the primary benefit you'll gain from using it is a slightly higher level of water resitance and slightly higher strength ratio. Don't know who ALL those people are that you've been talking to but I'd recommend you do some research on your own and check out the facts before you spend the money and all the extra time an hassle on using epoxy. Also if you plan on trying to Gelcoat your boat you won't be able to if you use epoxy. Gelcoat does not adhere to epoxy. Just want to make you aware of some of the differences. Your boat, your choice.