1987 Four Winns Horizon 190

Curwatchma

Recruit
I recently purchased a 87 Horizon 190, the boat is or was in great shape till I discover after bringing it home that the stringers have wood rot, I partially cut the deck along the stringers to check the extent of the damage and one is worst then the other, ideally replacing both of them would be the right way to go, however I'm wondering if instead of removing the old stringers, what if I seal up the old ones and glue two new stringers beside the old ones and then fiberglass them two together. I know the right way would be to remove the deck and stringers and rebuilt but the with the age of the boat and summer just around the corner its tempting.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

Curwatchma

Recruit
Thank you, I have been bussy reading as much as I can in this forum with all the resto and I got to say you guys are dedicated!! I took up some more of the deck Today and notice more rot in the stringers, so it looks like I'll be replacing them, Im a little nervous about the project but confident that I can complete it and make it better than original, Four Winns left a lot of bare wood and what amazes me is that the ski locker drained into the fuel tank area and the fuel tank are drained into a space between it and the bilge but no where else so my guess is that they forgot to drill a drain hole so from the first day the boat saw rain the stringers where wet.
I have a few questions that I have not found answers to hopefully you all can help me.
The boat looks all original never been fixed or patched.
There is a center stringer that runs down the center of the boat up to the rear bulk head completely in-cased in fiberglass, and two that run from the bow to the rear bulk head partially covered with fiberglass, they way they are tabbed to the hull is different than what I've seen so far being, that instead of the stingers being connected to the hull on both sides of the stringers by fiberglass they are both tabbed to the hull only on the side of the stringer that faces the outside edge of the boat, the inner side of the stringers are connected together by the floor the ski locker and the fuel tank which are separated by a bulkhead, the floors of the ski locker and fuel tank ares are constructed with a 1/4 inch plywood and fiberglassed, and glued on to of the center stringer.
So here is my question should I tab the stringers just like the factory did or should they be tabbed on both sides directly to the hull?
Question two would I have an issue with the hull loosing its shape once i remove the stringers, i have it on roller style trailer?
I will up load pictures soon