1987 Evinrude 200hp outboard resto/rebuild

j_k_bisson

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Update 03-06-2011

Well I have been on hold in the painting deptment for the last couple of days waiting for paint to come in, so I have been drinking a couple of beers with the buddies trying to call in/secure a favour from for the graphics. My one buddy owns a graphics/sign buisness with a vinyl cutter. So I have been working/drink with him trying to help figure out how to make his programing do what I want it to do. We think we have it. Now I only have to do is pick up some medium grey vinyl for the stripes and I'm all set. I have my other buddy that lays graphic all lined up to install them.

The dark blue paint came in yesterday so I finished that color. Nice paint again, nice and thick with a metalic finish. Here the pic of that coat.

DSCN1577-1.jpg

DSCN1576-1.jpg

DSCN1578-1.jpg

Tonight's painting plan is the black strip that goes around the hood/cover along with the vent area. Also the vent grill insert will get some paint after a light sanding job. Also I hopefully will get the vent grab handle part for the top of the hood primed after sanding. Haven't done anything with that in the last couple of days. So it might need another filler coat of thickened resin to fill some of the holes and low's. We'll see tonight, its the first thing to get done.

Hopefully the hood and vents will be done this weekend. This will leave only the lower unit, 5" extention kit (have not bought it yet), and trim unit to paint. Dame I have gone through a ton of paint so far. At $10 bucks can it adds up quickly. But I guess I am paying for no clean up for a paint gun after evey paint session.

Today I hope the tilt tube and gland nut wrench comes in. That way I can also start into the trim unit before the lower unit. Trying to put the trim unit last. Dont have anywhere to put it after I paint it other than in the motor. But seeing the motor is not mounted to the stand I can not assemble it to it. Need the titl and trim to be complete first.

j_k_bisson

Lieutenant Junior Grade

That paint job is looking awesome! Can you come do mine? It's really draggin' down the appearance of my boat :p http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w200/ezmobee/New Boat/DSCF2640.jpg

Thanks for the compliment. It is appreciated.

Looks like you only need the top silver done. Thats only a 10 dollar can of paint and sand paper! But nope can't do it. fishing season is coming up fast here. The first local tournament is june 13. There is still a ton of things to do to get ready.

I'm sure you'll be able to get thru it if you got into it. If any question feel free to ask. Hell I have learned a ton doing this one! Never repainted a hood or a motor before this one.

j_k_bisson

Lieutenant Junior Grade

That is on sweet hood job. I hope mine comes out that good. Right now I am trying to figure out what the diference is in the Evinurde/omc engine black paint and prop black paint, and thier black paint. Is anyone of them metalic? I know the engine black is not. I am assuming the prop paint is not. But can not find the black paint code for metallic.

j_k_bisson

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Nope no evinrude metallic black. Just power head black and propeller black. Don't know the diference between the two, but I'm using the half of can I have left from the power head painting. It's only for the pinstriping decal around the base of the hood.

j_k_bisson

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Update 03-12-2011

Update 03-12-2011

Was able to finish off the hood last night. Both the black stripe around the base of the hood for the silver stripes, the vent grill and vents. Here is how they all came out.

DSCN1580-1.jpg

DSCN1585-1.jpg

The repair to the vent came out nicely as well. I'm getting better with this fiberglass stuff. It only took 2 coats of glass'n and one of spot putty. I'm not the best but I'm getting better.

DSCN1583-1.jpg

Seeing that the tool for the trim pumps did not come in yet, and the tilt tube from Faztbullet, I'll be putting off the trim rebuild and paint hopefully till next week. I'll start into the lower unit clean up tonight. There is a fair bit of oxidation/pitting on it. So I plan on stripping the old paint, grinding a bit to clean up the pits a bit, and then giving it a nice couple of coats of zinc chromate primer.

Still need to wait untill the next paycheck comes in before ordering the extension kit so I'm in no supper rush to get everything done. I basically will have three more weeks untill the extention kit comes in.

I am starting to see the end on this portion of the project. (rebuilding/restoring the motor) I need to say to all those that helped me get this far thanks. It was very appreciated.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
Re: Update 03-12-2011

Re: Update 03-12-2011

Looks awesome. Can't wait to see it with decals.

j_k_bisson

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Update 03-12-2011 Afternoon

Update 03-12-2011 Afternoon

Well was able to chemically strip the lower unit. It came out ok. Still need to blend in all the left of the primers. Here some pics.

DSCN1587-1.jpg

DSCN1586-1.jpg

Tonight I will finish getting it ready for the priming stage. That way tomorrow night I'll be able to spray it. No paint on this part until the trim pump is rebuilt. Don't want to have to do it twice. That is unless I find a place in my garage that I don't have to worry about knocking it over. I'll be thinking about that tonight what I have amy final beers.....

j_k_bisson

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Update 03-13-2011

Update 03-13-2011

Well was able to finish the paint job on the lower unit last nite. Went over all the nooks and cranies with sand paper and wire brushes. Made extra sure that the zinc primer was going to stick nicely. Just like bubble gum to my girls hair! lol :D Here is how it came out.

DSCN1588-1.jpg

Next I waited three hours for things the primer to dry. Used a couple of my halogen lights to speed things along. Then I sprayed the silver blue. Here is how that came out.

DSCN1590-1.jpg

Yep that's right I fugured out how to hang this for the next couple of weeks until it is time to install. Thats what hap[pens when I stand around in a garage waiting for paint to dry. Yes I had my mask on. But it leaks a bit! lol Here is how I planned on doing it. See for your self. Plus I also had to give it a coat of paint where it was sitting on the saw horse this morning. Trying to get rid of the yellow effect.

DSCN1593-1.jpg

Right now I have everything baking in the garage with the heat cranked and the halogens lights glowing.

Now I'm on to the trim system. I'll start exploring that this afternoon after cleaning things up in the garage. I might not rebuild the system. I want to play with just putting in the pump and topping up the fluid. I'm a bit intimidated by playing with all the check valves and stuff. My sausage fingers have a tendancy to drop small parts/ball bearings.

We'll see how it goes.

nymack66

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Update 03-13-2011

I have a confession to make, I did rip an old T&T apart last year, I never did put it back together! Nice work on the LU, you are consistently producing professional work ...Keep up the good job....I went Boating yesterday Lake was like Glass ran for about two hours burning off Gas from last year :)

j_k_bisson

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I have a confession to make, I did rip an old T&T apart last year, I never did put it back together! Nice work on the LU, you are consistently producing professional work ...Keep up the good job....I went Boating yesterday Lake was like Glass ran for about two hours burning off Gas from last year :)

Thanks man, I am very jellous of you boating experience. Hell I'm starting to daydream about boating/fishing this summer. Should I seek professional help? Or just alot of water? lol

nymack66

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have always recommend lots of water blended with good barley and hops, everything a grown boy needs...I have been busy also ..Shot the inside lower pan ...Came out good, darn FL bugs can't stay off the paint...

Attachments

• IMG_0160.resized.JPG
    IMG_0160.resized.JPG
    142.4 KB · Views: 0

j_k_bisson

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I have always recommend lots of water blended with good barley and hops, everything a grown boy needs...I have been busy also ..Shot the inside lower pan ...Came out good, darn FL bugs can't stay off the paint...

Looking good. You have a thread started for your resto? I don't know what it is about bugs, but they do love frreshly sprayed paint. That and my wife's hair always seam to get where I do want it to go.

j_k_bisson

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I ceaned up the cylinder and trim system, then assembled it for paint. Did not put the new seals/o-ring kit in it. I pressure tested ok as per the manual. SO I washed it up and painted it. It needs another coat of silver blue, but it doesn't look too bad. Check it out.

DSCN1595-1.jpg

DSCN1596-1.jpg

So tonight I assemble the trim unit to the side plates and give her another coat of paint then the painting is finally done.

To finish this motor I am waiting on parts. They are while I remember.....

Intake water screen (need to order)
Tilt tube (waiting for it in mail)
Hood/cover rubber bumpers (ordered through ebay)
Decals (possible tonight)
5" Extension kit
In-line fuel filter (need to order)
Prop and prop nut kit
3/8" Primer bulb kit
Mounting bolt kit (just need to figure out what grade of bolts to use)

Things left to do.

Install trim system to mounting brackets
Intall mounting brackkets to motor
Install water pump kit to lower unit.
Install the motor to mid section
Paint and install extension kit
Install lower unit to mid section and motor
Install motor to boat.
Install fuel system.
Install controll cables.
Do link and sinc
Preform 1 hr break in period

I see the end.........

j_k_bisson

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Update 03-15-2011

Update 03-15-2011

Well was able to scratch off a few of the things on my list last night. Finished assembling the trim-tilt system.

DSCN1616-1.jpg

DSCN1617-1.jpg

Also installed the new screen and water pump. And installed the new temp sending unit in the starboard top head. Everything is on hold for a while, need to get the extension kit. So going to go back to the boat project and start finishing the various old jobs I have on that. The first will be the wind shield paint job. I'll post updates here when I get more parts and have progress to show. Here is how it sits for now.

DSCN1619-1.jpg

DSCN1620-1.jpg

DSCN1622-1.jpg

Thanks To everyone for all the help with this project. Could not have done it without your help.

nymack66

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Update 03-15-2011

This is the best engine restore project ever posted in my opinion and the views support it.., As for my project I have no patience to catalog and post it the way you do. I do have tons of picture of my transom and gel-coat restoration ...I use the pictures to help others when I can ...Thanks for sharing your experience with us all..

dehydrated

Petty Officer 1st Class

I agree, well documented project should help others with their rebuilds.congrats jeff the best is only around the corner when she fires!!! nice job on everything!!!

Mas

Lieutenant Commander

Very nice job! Post a pic of your grin when she fires up!

Mas