1987 4.3/175 Crank/No Start

jeb6294

Seaman
Got the bellows replaced and the drive back on…aaand, now it won’t start 😤.

Looks like it isn’t getting fuel. I’m assuming the mechanical pump should pump fuel whenever the motor’s turning? No sensors or anything? I pulled the fuel line at the carb and tried cranking it and nuthin’. Tries to start after giving it a little spritz of starter fluid. Any other ways to check it?

Is it a marine specific pump or would any 4.3 pump work, i.e. if i can find one at an auto parts store.

Attachments

• IMG_4028.jpeg
    IMG_4028.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 4

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,...... Is there gas in the tank to pump,..??
Are it's lines clear, flowable,..??
Have you checked the fuel filter,..??

jeb6294

Seaman
Ayuh,...... Is there gas in the tank to pump,..??
Are it's lines clear, flowable,..??
Have you checked the fuel filter,..??
There is gas and it should be okay. Before putting it up for the winter, always add stabilizer, top off the tank and run it until the fogging oil stalls it.

The lines should be good…it ran fine just before we put it in storage.

The little filter in the pump? We’ve only had this a couple years, but if i had to guess, I’m willing to bet the pump and filter are the originals.

jeb6294

Seaman
Problem solved…and so dumb. The yellow hose is the overflow from the pump to the carb. Old one shrunk so much it wouldn’t reach the carb. When I put the new hose on I zip-tied it to the fuel line. Apparently I cinched them too tight and it pinched the hose closed and kept the diaphragm from working.

Snipped the zip ties and it fired right up.

Scott06

Admiral
Problem solved…and so dumb. The yellow hose is the overflow from the pump to the carb. Old one shrunk so much it wouldn’t reach the carb. When I put the new hose on I zip-tied it to the fuel line. Apparently I cinched them too tight and it pinched the hose closed and kept the diaphragm from working.

Snipped the zip ties and it fired right up.
Haven't seen that one before but makes sense.