1986 Ranger 373v Project!

Japes15

Seaman Apprentice
Hey guys! Just got this 18ft 1986 Ranger 373v and looking to make her pretty again! The boat came with an 86' Evinrude 150xp that I had checked out before I bought it. Motor runs, compression and spark is good but the Fuel pump is leaking. I will rebuild the carb as well because it has sat for over 2 years. New fuel lines as well...

pics... http://s636.photobucket.com/albums/uu81/Japes15/

I stripped most of the carpet today. How much of the old carpet glue do I need to get up before I lay new carpet???

Finally, the paint underneath is in good condition. However, as you can tell from the pictures, the top is another story. It looks like a clear coat is flaking off the top. And it looks a little faded... It doesn't look totally lost, can anyone tell me what would be best to try?

jonesg

Admiral
Re: 1986 Ranger 373v Project!

Yeh it sat, but uncovered by the looks of it, with that 375lb outboard I would want to know about the transom first , then work upwards.
Was there any damp under the rug?

Japes15

Seaman Apprentice

The transom looks rock solid from the outside. no sign of stress cracks anywhere. Floor seems very strong. What do you suggest I do to take a closer look for any structural problems?

jonesg

Admiral

If there are any transom mounted widgets such as fishfinder, remove a screw and watch for water, if water comes out drill a hole 1 inch deep and examine the chips, it'll be obvious if its rotted.
If it ok then look at the stringers, same way. Seal holes with 5300.

Then you basically know the project is just a fit and finish.
Its not worth doing all the finish work if the substructure is rotted.
My transom looked ok too but there was nothing left inside except black mush.

The guy really let it go to pot eh?

jcsercsa

Captain

If there are any transom mounted widgets such as fishfinder, remove a screw and watch for water, if water comes out drill a hole 1 inch deep and examine the chips, it'll be obvious if its rotted.
If it ok then look at the stringers, same way. Seal holes with 5300.

Then you basically know the project is just a fit and finish.
Its not worth doing all the finish work if the substructure is rotted.
My transom looked ok too but there was nothing left inside except black mush.

The guy really let it go to pot eh?

Yep agreed there jonesg, I would check her really close on this one , she looks in petty ruff shape Japes15, dont look like they keep her covered at all !! i always liked the look of a ranger !!! John

Japes15

Seaman Apprentice

How often do you see a bad transome after sitting like that? I mean, are Ranger Boats built with more quality than most or does it not matter how well they are built if it sits uncovered for too long? I will take a closer look at it when I get a chance. cross your fingers!

legoman67

Chief Petty Officer

When you are testing the transom, make sure you take afew core samples, especially close to the leg. When i was testing mine i was only testing in the center, which seemed perfect, when i pulled the legs i discovered it was rotted all around them. so out it came... Nearly finished the new transom now!

jonesg

Admiral

Japes,

its 23 yrs in the tooth, it looks like it was not cared for.
A boat with rugs, well thats a strange thing for me but....it doesn't help keep things dry.

I think its a slick looking craft, should go like ***** off a shovel with that engine, its really a racing boat with a fishfinder.:p

Anyway, IF it was stored with the bow UP and the drainplug OUT then the substructure could be fine.

But if the transom and stringers are shot, its a simple fix. And it will be better than new.

Japes15

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for the words of encouragement jonesg. on a good note, the plug was pulled when I picked it up... we'll see... I will keep you posted on what it looks like. might turn out to be a bigger project than expected :redface:

Japes15

Seaman Apprentice

Yep agreed there jonesg, I would check her really close on this one , she looks in petty ruff shape

So I've been doing a lot of reading about replacing transom/stringer system. My question is, if I end up having to go in and rebuild the stringers and transom, how do I get to them? I would like to NOT have to take the top cap off so what is my alternative? Getting kinda confused lol... sorry, another newb on your hands ha.

Will be going to lake next weekend to see what it's going to take...

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

Aren't a lot of your storage compartments and things part of the cap? I think you'd have a MUCH tougher time doing the transom and stringers with it on. Might be one of those cases where the pain of removing the cap would save you much pain later on.

Japes15

Seaman Apprentice

Yea thats what it looks like. all the floors are fiberglass along with both the front and rear casting decks like its one big mold of fiberglass. So if thats the case, i imagine all of that is part of the cap and would have to be taken up in order to redo the stringer system.

I have been looking at different ways to rebuild a transom. If you were to try something like this http://bbcboards.zeroforum.com/zerothread?id=282637 but instead of using seacast use ply can you do that? hope that makes sense...

fshngho

Lieutenant

If you don't mind my 2 cents, Ranger Boats advertise that their boats have NO WOOD, other than Forrest Wood, the owner of the company. I have seen and repaired transoms on rangers due to stress because someone strapped a tornado on the back, but never rot. I would suggest you check with manufacturer before you get too worried. I believe they are all fiberglass and foam. Great boat, kinda rough ride, but also supposedly "unsinkable".

CN Spots

Lieutenant Commander

What ever the diagnosis, she's well worth saving. Rangers were and still are some of the best bass boats made. They hold their value better than most other boats as well. I've heard that they were non-wood as well but I'm not sure if that was the case back in the mid-eighties.:confused:

Japes15

Seaman Apprentice

Well that sure is good to hear. I'll do a little research and see what i find. I would love to find out they put no wood in these boats... I won't get my hopes up too much though... Thanks guys

Japes15

Seaman Apprentice

jonesg,

I have read a few posts about it being darn near impossible to get these Ranger caps removed so lets say thats out of the question for transom repair... So i've been looking at other possibilities...

1. Cut out the splashwell

2. Cut only the top of the transom cap off and use a poor in transom (or can you use ply with this method too??)

3. Can you just remove and reinstall a transome without cutting anything out and working around/under the splashwell through the back hatch??

what else are my options?

Japes15

Seaman Apprentice

quick update, I called Ranger boats and got some info on the transom and stringer system. Transom and stringers are plywood encased in fiberglass. Will be checking out the transom this weekend.

Japes15

Seaman Apprentice

Update.... I unscrewed a widget on the left side of the transom and had a tiny amount of water. I Had to run my finger across the hole before I knew there was any water so it was very little. Unscrewed a widget on left side and found no water. I checked the holes throughout the day and found the same results.

I tapped on the transom and it sounded great except on the top left side (where i found a little water out of the screw hole). Other wise it had a nice sharp sound all around.

I also tried lifting and pushing on the motor and found no flex in the transom. With what little water I found, I am sure rot has started however with no stress cracks anywhere in the glass and no flex, it seems like it is pretty solid. Any idea how fast that rot can spread?? I plan on resealing all holes in transom.