1986 Quadrajet (Chevy Pickup)

PITBoat

Petty Officer 1st Class
What's a reasonable price for that? My neighbor has one off of a 454 that he doesn't want. Unknown condition. I'd think $75 or so.

I've got a '75 model on one of my old trucks; I assume but don't know, that an '86 could work on it as well. Or could be useful on something else. 750cfm carburetor I think.

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
Ten bucks. Anything sitting around has to be gone through/rebuilt. Even if its off a running motor its pointless to put it in something else unless its re done.

PITBoat

Petty Officer 1st Class
Yeah, I'd assume a rebuild would be necessary. I was thinking they aren't making these anymore, and if so it might be good to have a spare. So I guess I was really wondering if there was a chance the answer would be "Jump on it".

One vote in the "Meh" column.

I tried ordering one from AutoZone (sourced from National Carburetor I think) several years ago, and it didn't work right. I ended up rebuilding my original instead.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
If this is for a boat, make sure its a marine carb

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
I've seen enough quadrajets to make a monkey puke! Sometimes ordering from an outside source you'll get one not set up for the application. A rebuild kit comes with the float height specs, wich don't always match with your serial numbers on the carb itself. I'll check the float height upon disassembly, then check the chart to see if it was close to what the spec is. The angle the carb is mounted or size of motor may differ from setup to setup. Very seldom do I have to go back in there after rebuilding to change anything.

dolluper

Captain
You can get many rebuilt quads price is about 300.00 retail in Canada ...The 600 came stock on most 350's...when you changed cams or intakes you went up to 700 or 750 quads...easy to find up here in the north...if free not seized (shalfs) most sell for 50 bones plus rebuild kit about 25.00 bones Canadian

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
If that's an original non-modified core I'd pick it up. Good ones are not that easy to find. But yes if for a truck fine if for a boat has to marine. The marine units have the extra fitting on the top right hand side for the safety overflow tube if you have a mechanical fuel pump.

PITBoat

Petty Officer 1st Class
I picked it up yesterday. He came down and said he was cleaning and I could have it, but I gave him $25 for it. Looks in good shape. He thought it was a 650cfm one, which was partly why he went to an Edelbrock for his engine build, but I thought they were 750. Maybe that varied with the year. I might get a book for them to learn more.

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
I picked it up yesterday. He came down and said he was cleaning and I could have it, but I gave him $25 for it. Looks in good shape. He thought it was a 650cfm one, which was partly why he went to an Edelbrock for his engine build, but I thought they were 750. Maybe that varied with the year. I might get a book for them to learn more.
I think most are 650, overhauled a lot of them myself. I've seen plenty of people try putting on larger carbys trying to get more power without upgrading the motor. Then they complain that it won't idle right and don't preform well. The motor was designed for a certain size carb, try dumping more fuel than it want's what do you expect? Go back to anything that has the same cfm and you will be fine. Duh! If you do overhaul it, replace the float, it don't come in the kit, you will thank me later. And be sure the set the float height properly. Unless someone has been fiddiling with before, the linkages shouldn't have to be tweaked for certain settings. Some people do that and then the fun begins.....

PITBoat

Petty Officer 1st Class
Before I rebuilt the '75 model one on my old truck, the secondaries didn't always kick in on demand. I adjusted the little screw for them to the spec that came with the kit if I remember, and I always get them now as expected, but not too soon (bogging).

There was a screw in the (right?) front corner under the air horn that I'm not sure is set right though. Something to do with part throttle mixture or ? I almost think the top of the horn over it could be drilled out so it could be accessed and adjusted if necessary, but I'm not sure. There's a plug or something there in the horn.

That old truck doesn't run perfect when it's cold so I'm not sure if that's carb related or just other engine internals (fouled plugs, worn timing chain/gears, etc.). Sounds a little like it's cammed for half a minute or so after you first start it. Fine after it's warmed up for the most part.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
For Quadrajet issues head over to Cliffs High Performance Quadrajets; join his forum and ask over there

matt167

Captain
Keep in mind an '86 carb could be the CCC carb. Replaces the mixture adjustment with a computer controlled solenoid. Won't work without the ECU/ hardware

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
You can post up the carb # on Cliff's website and they can tell you if it is or not...

Dwayne Oxford

Recruit
I've rebuilt several. The metering rod linkage wears when they get lotsa miles/hours making proper adjustment impossible. The two long front bolts oft got over torqued by ham fisted installers, cracking the casting, which rendered them junk, earning the name "Quadrajunk". Replacing with proper sized/tuned Holley is best unless you're wanting to keep something stock for some reason.