1986 lowe 160 16ft -motor weight problems

Rhorn59

Recruit
hey i have a 1986 lowe 16ft 160 side console bass boat and i have a 1988 johnson 48 spl that only weights 160 and tops out at 34 mph and i want to upgrade the motor either to mercury 50 or 60 that weights 240 pounds and im concern about the weight the way the boat will ride and sit and get up on plane with a 60 but will consider getting a 50 but the new tohatsu 60 only weights about 200 pounds and same for the suzuiki 60 what would yall do?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
welcome aboard.

If your motor was toast, I would stick with a 2-stroke myself. However if the motor is healthy, I would save my money and simply use the boat to go fishing.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
25% increase in HP does NOT result in 25% increase in speed.

If there are other reasons to replace current motor, Then look at a more modern 40 or 50 hp, something within the legal capacity rating of the boat. Then get it propped right for the boat.

briangcc

Commander
Launch the boat, toss the extra 80lbs of weight onto the transom. That'll tell you immediately how the boat is going to sit.

Like Roscoe and Scott, I don't see you getting much of a performance boost going up at most 12HP....provided your current motor is in tune.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
there is no difference between the 48hp motor currently there and a 50 hp

without knowing which boat you have, you may already be at the limit. many of the Lowe boats are rated at only 30 and 35hp.

Rhorn59

Recruit
25% increase in HP does NOT result in 25% increase in speed.

If there are other reasons to replace current motor, Then look at a more modern 40 or 50 hp, something within the legal capacity rating of the boat. Then get it propped right for the boat.
i was wanting more little bit gas saver like 2022 50hp

ahicks

Captain
I do a lot of work on Honda 40 and 50 hp 4 strokes that both weigh 250 or so with power trim and tilt. I have a 17' side console (Polar Craft) bass boat in Florida that I use for a test boat, and a 16' side console (Smoker Craft) in Michigan. These are both used to test run motors motors for a few hours after they've had serious engine work. Both of these boat handle the 250 lb motors just fine. Speaking of the Honda power, the speed with one of these is going to be about the same as what you have.

Clearly a 4 stroke convert here, if talking about a boat I was planning on keeping a while, it would be treated to a 4 stroke conversion without a second thought....

Rhorn59

Recruit
I do a lot of work on Honda 40 and 50 hp 4 strokes that both weigh 250 or so with power trim and tilt. I have a 17' side console (Polar Craft) bass boat in Florida that I use for a test boat, and a 16' side console (Smoker Craft) in Michigan. These are both used to test run motors motors for a few hours after they've had serious engine work. Both of these boat handle the 250 lb motors just fine. Speaking of the Honda power, the speed with one of these is going to be about the same as what you have.

Clearly a 4 stroke convert here, if talking about a boat I was planning on keeping a while, it would be treated to a 4 stroke conversion without a second thought....
That’s my plan is to get a 4 stoke but something with a little bit more speed and something the boat can handle

ahicks

Captain
That’s my plan is to get a 4 stoke but something with a little bit more speed and something the boat can handle
I doubt that's going to happen from a weight or speed perspective. Next step up from the 40-60 weight class is about at 375-400lbs for a 75hp. That's too much for bass boats in this size range IMHO. Suggest you proceed with caution.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
???----How did you determine the weight of the 1988 model 48 HP special ?-----About 186 lbs is listed in the brochure.

ahicks

Captain
???----How did you determine the weight of the 1988 model 48 HP special ?-----About 186 lbs is listed in the brochure.
Just a guess, but if add copy was showing 186 somewhere, it would be no surprise here if you were expected to take that weight then add for elec. start, TnT, and long shaft.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
The 50 HP ( same as the 48 HP ) long shaft with trim and tilt is listed at 218 LBS on these.

jlh3rd

Chief Petty Officer
Does the boat should have a data plate that says what the maximum hp limit is?
If it does, and being an 80's boat, whatever the weight is for a motor of that hp back then would be the max weight you should put on the boat.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
I do not believe these rules / capacity plates are well thought out these days.-----They have never been adjusted for propshaft power or the increased weight of modern motors !

Scott Danforth

Staff member
and we still need to know which lowe 16' this is, as most likely 50 is all it will take.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
i was wanting more little bit gas saver like 2022 50hp
No doubt that will probably double your MPG but at what price.
Buy the new engine because you want it and economy is a plus......not a mandate. You'll never get your money back.

ahicks

Captain
I do not believe these rules / capacity plates are well thought out these days.-----They have never been adjusted for propshaft power or the increased weight of modern motors !
JLH3rd has it here I think - "whatever the weight is for a motor of that hp back then would be the max weight you should put on the boat"

You factor not just the HP rating for the boat, but also the weight of the motors of the day making that power..... neither should be exceeded.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Many motors were lighter in weight back in the day.-----For example the 1972 model Evinrude 125 HP was listed at 252 LBS.