1986 19' Bayliner Capri 2.3L IB/OB

bkr8882

Recruit
Hello,

I purchased a 1986 Bayliner Capri 2.3L boat a couple of weeks ago. I'm trying to learn everything I can about it but have hit a few bumps in the road along the way. I can't seem to find any manuals for the boat(owners, engine, parts, electrical etc...). I think its a bowrider, because you can walk through the windsheild to the front but I'm not sure. This is my first boat so I'm lost when it come to everything. Sometimes I see an advertisement for lets say a 1986 Bayliner Capri 1650 Bowrider. What does the 1650 mean. also what type of moter might I have, how would I find out. I do know that its a Volvo Pents. How hard would it be to update the console in the boat with newer gauges and controls. All the seats in the boat have dry-rotted where might I find seats to match. Any type of advise I could get would be greatly appricated.

Thank you all,

Brandon

redone4x4

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 1986 19' Bayliner Capri 2.3L IB/OB

welcome to the forum! there are aftermarket manuals available, there should be one available from this site even. What you have is an open bow, or bowrider. The 1650 would represent 16 1/2 feet long, roughly. so yours would be a 1900 or 1950 capri probably. sounds like you have a volvo-penta 2.3 4 cylinder. cant help ya on gauges, i havent changed any of mine. im in the process of re-doing my seats. its cheaper to rebuild them yourself, but there are aftermarket seats with the pedestal which is what you would need. run about $350 for one side of seating though. IE, $350 for port, same for starboard. hope this helps ya a bit...search for stuff in here using the search bar, thats what i do. that way i can get ideas from what people have already done and take it from there!

trvltime67

Recruit

here is a number you can call and get a copy of your boats owner manual just ask them if you can get a copy of it you will need your haul # i hope this helps you i just got mine the #is 3604355571 ps there is no charge for it

Rocky_Road

Lieutenant Commander

Bass Pro has the lounge seats, starting around $160...the only problem that you might encounter, is that the 'box' for the lounge seats in my 2005 Bayliner is an integral part of the deck. You might consider simply having the seats reupholstered!

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/s..._N_225008001_225000000_225008000_false_25___2

Gauges are easy to upgrade, and you should look right here at iboats for a start.

bkr8882

Recruit

redone4x4,

Thanks for the advise, another question for ya. How hard is it doing the seats yourself.

redone4x4

Lieutenant Commander

redone4x4,

Thanks for the advise, another question for ya. How hard is it doing the seats yourself.

I just realized i never answered this...sorry. My stepmom and my dad are doing all the vinyl replacement. The vinyl is expensive, and it is very time consuming. but then again, they are making perfect replica vinyl covers, all the way down to the black and red piping! its a PITA trying to get all the contours right.

the bow and aft seats arent that bad, i have one bow cushion done already. It gets expensive real quick at a vinyl shop to do stuff, and the seats listed above put out alot of $$$ for the 4 seats all together.

When i first got my boat, i got some terrycloth seatcovers from BW, and they still hold up just fine. Not as nice looking, but hey it works until the actual covers are done. and they are machine washable.

delanoit

Recruit

I tried redoing the upholstery route on my 1986 19' Bayliner Capri, the side panels and the pads in the bow turned out well but for the rest I ended up going to a professional and it turned out better than expected I had everything except the two lounge seats redone. Locally it ran me around $1100.00 but it was worth it. Just finished re-carpeting it was straight forward but took a lot of elbow grease to finish. I had to replace the port and aft windshield I am looking for the port and aft bilge vents (it is a slow process, but there are parts out there) and am beginning on the motor next. Good luck let us know of your progress.