1985 Wellcraft 210 Elite Restoration

Status
Not open for further replies.

jbillingsley

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 1985 Wellcraft 210 Elite Restoration

Took my time cutting two sheets of plywood that cost nearly $250.

jbillingsley

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Yes, that's two sheets of 3/4" Douglas Fir Marine Grade from Capitol Lumber. While pricey, I will never ever buy lumber from a big box store ever again.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Just curious as to your Statement about the Plywood. I find the Arauco Plywood, sold at most of the big box stores, to be a very high quality plywood and would have no problem using it for transoms, stringers or decks for any boat build. Why do you feel differently? Did you have a bad experience.

jbillingsley

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I checked Home Depot, Lowes, and 81. None of them carry any marine grade plywood, Arauco or otherwise. It's fortunate that your local big box stores carry high quality plywood. The ones near me don't.

Triangleboater

Petty Officer 1st Class

I was wondering the same thing! I live over in Durham and have had problems finding quility wood at lowes and home depot. I will try Talbert building supply then go to Capital City if I need to. Any luck with Tabert anybody?

jbillingsley

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Sorry for the lack of posts fellas, I broke my foot about five weeks ago, fractured the 4th and 5th metatarsals in my left foot (don't ever attempt to run in Crocs, even in an emergency situation.) Anyway, it's finally healed up enough that I can walk on it again. Thus, progress resumed this weekend.

I finished up making the final adjustments to the new transom, figured out how I'm going to clamp it, and sealed the wood in epoxy. My goal was to have it installed by the end of the weekend, but the sky's about to dump. While sealing the wood, I found that the epoxy I'm using begins to set right about the time I finish coating a side of the transom, which takes me about 11 minutes. This was good to learn, because there's no way I'd be able to coat it and install it on my own before it begins to set. Fortunately, I have help lined up for tomorrow evening after work.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

What will you be using to glue the transom to the outer skin of the boat? How will you be clamping it? What Epoxy are you using? 11 mins seems awfully quick for epoxy.

jbillingsley

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Transom is already glued in with epoxy PB, did that a week or two ago. Used several deep throat clamps, 3/8" bolts through the holes in the upper corners where the tow rings go, and a wide, wooden clamp across the center. I have pics somewhere.

I'm using the US Composites 635 Thin Epoxy Resin w/medium hardener. The resin I had purchased from Home Depot was polyurethane and it was kicking too quickly because I was eyeballing my mix of resin to hardener. I have no idea why I thought I had purchased epoxy resin from HD. I think I had acetone in the brain when I bought it.

jbillingsley

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Not the best transom clamping job, but I know for sure it's stuck on there very solidly. If you happen to notice a small circle of wood stuck onto my transom in the picture before this, that's where a little bit of epoxy seeped out through a 3/8" hole and attached one of the clamping boards to my transom. It took a crowbar to get that piece of wood off.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Actually the clamping doesn't look to bad. Epoxy PB will make it strong as heck!!!! You're on your way now!!!!

jbillingsley

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Conversation with my dad today...

I don't know why I hadn't thought about just having the heads milled. It sure made a dramatic difference on that Jeep I had. From what I'm reading, milling 0.39" off the heads will bring the compression up 1pt. and typically costs around $120. That would get me back to the original output rating. Also, since it's a very mild cam and has dished pistons, valve clearance won't be a concern. The downside is that it makes the heads more prone to cracking, which, having raw water cooling, already puts additional stress on them.

I had been thinking I'd either just replace the head gaskets and run it as-is, or do the Vortec head swap. This is an interesting, in-between option. Adding closed cooling would alleviate concerns about milled heads cracking, but that would then run the costs up into the same range as doing the Vortec head swap. I had been thinking that longer-term, I might re-power it with a big block and Bravo setup. Marinized versions of the Chevy LS engines are also beginning to appear. Long-term, when budget permits, I'm thinking a LS/Bravo setup would be the ultimate setup, since it would offer better fuel economy, less weight, and more horsepower.

On 8/14/13 4:51 PM, Joel Billingsley wrote:
> Excellent! I know it will turn out well with your persistence and attention to detail. I look forward to taking a cruise in the old girl. Assuming it was a blown head gasket, which I am positive was the case, you could research milling the heads to restore compression ratio to 9:1. I think I calculated that it dropped to 8.2:1 or thereabouts which has a direct effect on the output. With the extra displacement and the original compression ratio, the boat will really perform.

Last edited:

jbillingsley

Petty Officer 2nd Class

iboats-1-2.jpgiboats-2-2.jpgHad some lovely help last night and finished up the transom. Really glad I decided to grab a jar of Titanium Dioxide pigment when I placed my last US Composites order, came out looking just as nice as gelcoat.

Last edited:

jbillingsley

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Slowly, but surely, she's going back together.
iboats-1-3.jpg

Last edited:

jbillingsley

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have a bilge again! Colors are very off in these because of the blue tarp I have draped over my gantry and because I shot these with my phone instead of in RAW format with one of my real cameras.
iboats-2-4.jpg

Last edited:

jbillingsley

Petty Officer 2nd Class

And for jigngrub, I came around on the foam argument. Notice there are no weep holes, except for the one beneath the center of the bulkhead. All chambers will be fully sealed with epoxy and then I will foam them.

jbillingsley

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Frustratingly, I think the starboard stringer is off from dead vertical by nearly a degree. I had it aligned perfectly, but bumped it while bedding it in. Also ran out of Cabosil and had to buy some from West Marine (4-5x the price of the same stuff from US Composites.)

Status
Not open for further replies.