1985 Sea ray Seville

sasa73

Seaman Apprentice
Hi. I just got 1985 Sea ray seville, 4 cil, 140 hp, ser nmb A314183. I am planing to service motor by my self (I am DIY) and beside regular service (oil, filter, fuel filter, spark plugs, ect) what els should i check/service? I am new to the boats and any suggestion on service and maintenance will be appreciated.

ziggy

Admiral
Re: 1985 Sea ray Seville

welcome sasa73.

so is that a mercruiser ya got or something else.
all i can say at this point is don't forget there's drive service to be performed too.

edit
here's a link to some on line service manuals. the mercruiser manuals have maint. scheduals in them. for drive and engine. i don't know about the other books. my guess is they'd be similar.

Last edited:

sasa73

Seaman Apprentice

Yes, its a Mercruiser. Thank you for mentioning the drive.....:), like I sad I'm new to boats and every little info goes long way.
Thank you for links. As long as I have you guys here with me I got nothing to worry about!

sasa73

Seaman Apprentice

i see, i am all grease... :), now, how complicated is to take the motor out? I cant find manual for this year. I found some corroded wires going from hydraulic pump to lower unit. Only way to fix it is to take everything apart, i guess. This TONTO who had boat before me used indoor (house) little extension cord wire for it. It totally fall apart just by touching it. So i'm ready for adventure under the sun...:)
I looked in to manuals that "ZIGGY" sent me a link, but i couldn't find my year, 1985.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

I looked in to manuals that "ZIGGY" sent me a link, but i couldn't find my year, 1985.

Go back to the link ziggy posted, then go to Mercruiser manuals, and scroll till you get to #10 That if for your engine. Manual #6 is for the drive. Section 2 shows removal and installation procedures.

You also might want to look at the stickies at the top of this forum. There is a lot of information that you want.

sasa73

Seaman Apprentice

lol, i just saw that there is more than 4 manuals. I didn't see that little scroler. Thank you all for your time and help! I know i'l be back here with more questions. :)

sasa73

Seaman Apprentice

So, i never came across this kind of air filter. Its abo 8" around and abo 1" thick, made of some kind of metal. I don't want to make some stupid mistake and mess it up. What would be the best way to clean/wash it? I thought gasoline or acetone, but i'm not sure. Where would be the best place to buy engine oil, spark plugs, filters etc? Peep boys?

fat fanny

Lieutenant Commander

just wash the filter out with some brake cleaner and then soapy water, the other esentials can be had @ NAPA they have a full marine catalog and or a dealer follow the service manual also everything you need can also be had here on the iboats store click the link @ the top of the forum. Take your time and do it right lots of help here!

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

So, i never came across this kind of air filter. Its abo 8" around and abo 1" thick, made of some kind of metal. I don't want to make some stupid mistake and mess it up. What would be the best way to clean/wash it? I thought gasoline or acetone, but i'm not sure. Where would be the best place to buy engine oil, spark plugs, filters etc? Peep boys?

NAPA for marine parts, or a Mercruiser dealer.

Clean it with a toothbrush and some Boat9. (409). Blow dry with air. (take it off the carb first....LOL)

As mentioned, it has points and condenser. Throw them away and replace with a Pertronics electronic ignition module. Best 100 bucks you ever spent.

sasa73

Seaman Apprentice

Thank you guys. Yeah, I am definitely taking my time putting this baby together. What is the difference between having points and condenser or Petronics electronic ignition module?

Fishermark

Vice Admiral

What is the difference between having points and condenser or Petronics electronic ignition module?

Dependability and ease of maintenance primarily. I am a big believer in the Pertronix. With points and condenser you begin to lose effectiveness with every use. You don't notice it right away, but by the time you do another tune up you find yourself noticing the boat starts easier and runs better. Since the pertronix is electronic with nothing to wear out and affect timing, etc, your boat stays in tune.

Some will claim performance gains - but that really shouldn't be the reason to make the switch.

If you do go with the Pertronix upgrade, but sure to get the Ignitor II - it is a big improvement over the original.

sasa73

Seaman Apprentice

nice. thank you for detailed explanation. Here is a new question, this wire that i am showing with my finger is rotten and i cant see where is the other end. Does anyone know where this needs to be plugged in? How important is that? My motor starts with no problem.
DSCN0600.jpg
DSCN0602.jpg

And regarding hydraulics i found 2 wires that are also rotten and they go to out drive. What is that for? Hydraulics still work for up and down.
DSCN0604.jpg
DSCN0605.jpg

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

Thank you guys. Yeah, I am definitely taking my time putting this baby together. What is the difference between having points and condenser or Petronics electronic ignition module?

Just ask anyone over the age of 50 that ever drove a car with "points and plugs". Electronic ignition has been standard in autos for about 40 years. The marine industry lagged in this regard. Pertronics saw a need and jumped right in.

sasa73

Seaman Apprentice

lol, i just realized what r we talking about, its a coil pack, right?

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

lol, i just realized what r we talking about, its a coil pack, right?

A coil is still needed to send power to the spark plugs. In olden times, the points were a mechanical device that opened and closed to send power to each plug. They wear and corrode and need to be replaced. Back in the day we tuned our cars up annually, or every 10K miles. Today, tune-ups are every 100k.

Points on a car were a pita....they needed maintenance, including adjustment. In a boat its even worse. The boat sits all week long, and all winter long, thus the points last even shorter.

Electronic ignition is a sealed solid state unit. Set it once and its done. A 15 minute job and it uses the existing distributor and coil.

I used to tune the boat every other year. Three years and I got sputtering and had to dress the points or replace them. Nine years on my Peertronics and haven't touched or adjusted anything yet. Still requires periodic spark plug changes though.

As far as the rottenwires - I'm not sure from your pics, but I think they are to the trim cylinders. They may work now, but they won't for long. Replace them - shrink wrap the portion that goes thru the transom.

sasa73

Seaman Apprentice

i made new thread in electrical regarding wires. Now, back to the motor.
I see that previous owner didn't use any fuel filter. how smart is that? I was thinking to put one of those clear fuel filters right after the fuel tank.

Bondo

Staff member

I was thinking to put one of those clear fuel filters right after the fuel tank.

Nope,... Don't do that...

Plumb in a canister type fuel filter/ water separator type filter... They look like an oil filter...