1985 MerCruiser 190

the dragon

Recruit
Good morning guys, I have a 1985 MerCruiser 190 i/o in a 17 ft Baretta boat. I ran the boat last year and i noticed that the voltage gauge was only showing 11.5 charging volts at any speed. My guess it is the alternator. but there are no videos that show a step by step replacement of it. I have to put the charger on the battery the night before I take it to the lake. any help would be greatly appreciated. Dave

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
A manual is better than a video

Take a picture with your phone of the battery and alternator wiring (this will help you put it back)
Disconnect the battery wiring and remove the battery.
Take it in to have load tested
Remove the alternator wiring, then unbolt the alternator
Take it in to have tested

Replace/repair as needed

Replacement is reverse of removal

Dubed

Petty Officer 1st Class
This is a 3.7 190?
There is no alternator unless someone upgraded. If you have the original system, time to upgrade

stresspoint

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Good morning guys, I have a 1985 MerCruiser 190 i/o in a 17 ft Baretta boat. I ran the boat last year and i noticed that the voltage gauge was only showing 11.5 charging volts at any speed. My guess it is the alternator. but there are no videos that show a step by step replacement of it. I have to put the charger on the battery the night before I take it to the lake. any help would be greatly appreciated. Dave
Oh no , the worlds gone back in time too the 80s , nothing step by step on how to get an alternator off and back on again,

step 1, get a manual > google search.

step 2 , locate alternator section and use manual to test , remove and replace alternator if found to be faulty.

the dragon

Recruit
This is a 3.7 190?
There is no alternator unless someone upgraded. If you have the original system, time to upgrade
yes it is a 3.7 190, if there is no alternator then how does it recharge the battery, also what upgrade do I need

Scott Danforth

Staff member
yes it is a 3.7 190, if there is no alternator then how does it recharge the battery, also what upgrade do I need
there is a stator assembly under the front damper pulley. there is a really really expensive water cooled voltage regulator at the back of the block near the head. if you overheated it, you will most likely have taken out the voltage regulator.

the normal fix for the 470 motor was an alternator conversion. If yours has the original regulator, it lasted 20 years longer than most.

Alumarine

Captain
This is what the alternator would look like if yours has been converted.
It's the silver object on the left. It might be higher than that.
Picture from breezeworks site.
1707750399437.png

ROY WILLIAMS

Petty Officer 1st Class
I was the MCM470 Mercrusier 1978 engine 3.7L ....... the regulator of the damaged it ...30 years ago ..... then the alternator updated it 1990.... did the video >>>>

the dragon

Recruit
I was the MCM470 Mercrusier 1978 engine 3.7L ....... the regulator of the damaged it ...30 years ago ..... then the alternator updated it 1990.... did the video >>>>
okay here is a dumb question, if the stator is still good and the regulator is bad can I just change out the regulator and how do you test to see if the stator is good

Scott06

Admiral
okay here is a dumb question, if the stator is still good and the regulator is bad can I just change out the regulator and how do you test to see if the stator is good
Don't know how you can test it but yes you can change out the regulator if you can find one. In addition to being trouble prone, I believe they are NLA hence the alternator that most folks do.

1708013097573.png

Dubed

Petty Officer 1st Class
The cheapest way out is to replace with an alterator kit. If you can find a regulator, they are big money. Plus, the stator probably wont be too far behind. Breeeworks has a conversion kit delivered, under $400. Plus Kevin is great to deal with, and he has other parts in stock you will be needing for that 3.7.

the dragon

Recruit
The cheapest way out is to replace with an alterator kit. If you can find a regulator, they are big money. Plus, the stator probably wont be too far behind. Breeeworks has a conversion kit delivered, under $400. Plus Kevin is great to deal with, and he has other parts in stock you will be needing for that 3.7.
do you have Kevins phone #

Scott Danforth

Staff member
There are test procedures in the manual

If I owned a 470, I would be tempted to take a $30 40 amp gas powered welder regulator and mount it to a water cooling plate to replace the NLA water cooled regulator

ROY WILLIAMS

Petty Officer 1st Class
the stator/and regulator semi conductors a damaged MCM470 of my 1978.

1708037056720.png

now my MCM470 of that updated it alternator ///...year 1990 ....
damaged is stator/regulator ...

ROY WILLIAMS

Petty Officer 1st Class
my regulator 1987 is the cost 130 dollars ...3 years damaged it .... then the alternator ....1990..

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
the stator supplies about 40 volts AC to the regulator ,its there its rectified to DC voltage and regulated