1985 Merc 150 hp v6 outboard no spark

Mike Schilling

Recruit
Thread starter
Joined
Aug 4, 2007
Messages
5
I am having a problem. I replaced the jets on my engine and the oil line from the injector as well. When I reassembled, there is no spark to any of the plugs. There are two black boxes that control 3 cylinders each.I doubt they both could go like that, so assume there must be a broken wire somewhere. I checked kill switch on control and it seems to be functioning. Is there something simple I'm overlooking? I do have a SELOC manual, but most items say test by substitution. Is there a common wire that may be broken?
Is there a no spark troubleshooting flow chart?
Thanks.
 

Barnacle_Bill

Admiral
Joined
Feb 8, 2004
Messages
6,469
Re: 1985 Merc 150 hp v6 outboard no spark

Did you check to see if you accidently tripped the emergency kill switch?
 

Mike Schilling

Recruit
Thread starter
Joined
Aug 4, 2007
Messages
5
Re: 1985 Merc 150 hp v6 outboard no spark

I did check the kill switch, and it tests fine. I do have a Seloc Mercury 1965-91 manual, but there is not much troubleshooting when it comes to no spark on any of the solid states.
 

Laddies

Banned
Joined
Sep 10, 2004
Messages
12,218
Re: 1985 Merc 150 hp v6 outboard no spark

Here help from CDI
scan0004.jpg

scan0005.jpg
 

andy6374

Lieutenant Commander
Joined
Aug 4, 2005
Messages
1,617
Re: 1985 Merc 150 hp v6 outboard no spark

Disconnect the wiring harness and jump the stater solenoid.
 

Mike Schilling

Recruit
Thread starter
Joined
Aug 4, 2007
Messages
5
Re: 1985 Merc 150 hp v6 outboard no spark

Thanks for your help. Removed yellow wires from rectifier and it fired right up!
On my way to get a new one. Appreciate the help!
 
Top