1985 Force 85 HP No Spark w/ new cd module

shytownborn

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 1985 Force 85 HP No Spark w/ new cd module

jiggz is right on the money, ive always checked mine with an ordinary volt - ohm meter, with these stators theres three sections, two of them give power to the modules and the other to charge the battery, the yell, blues for the mods and the other two wires dont really remember the colors are for the rectifier that charges the battery

Jiggz

Captain

For the rectifier just disconnect the yellow/purple wires coming from the stator (tape them off with electrical tape and make sure they do not touch anything). The red and black can stay or if you want disconnect the red also but make sure you tape the lead and not touch the ground or the engine block. A regular voltmeter should suffice although a digital type that holds highest volt reading will be better. Post your test results and we will pick it up from there.

So I tested the Stator for both resistance and Volts, and i got none. No resistance and no volts. So i think my stator is bad. Can anything else cause the stator to not get power. The motor is during over. Is there anything anything before the stator?

Jiggz

Captain

With an open ckt (no resistance) and no voltage output, it's more likely the stator is already bad. But there is only one way to find out and that is to remove the flywheel and check make to sure the magnets are still in there and then do a visual check of the stator. A burn mark or sign of overheating on the stator is a sure sign it is no good.

SkiDad

Lieutenant Commander

Hi Jiggz, i was testing my rectifier today and didn't realize the red was hot even with the key off - and I arced red lead to the center screw - I was taking the screw that mounts the rectifier. It triggered the breaker - did I hose the rectifier or is that not a big deal. I should have found this post first about only removing the purple wires. I really wish the manual i was reading said that was live.

Jiggz

Captain

You should still be OK. Just reset the breaker (that's what it's designed for anyways).