1984 starcraft islander

Sharpie223

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I think they were added early to mid 70s. By 84 I think they should be there from the factory. I'd just worry about fixing any loose rivets and leaky seams.

Looking at some of those pictures of your defoaming progress, it looks like you have tabs that run under each rib.

Has anyone tried part pink sheet foam part pour in foam? Seems like when I eas taking the old foam out it was the bottom 4" that was completely saturated. What if I did the bottom 4" in pink foam board and poured foam over that?

Moserkr

Chief Officer + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2021
Yea I couldnt tell from the pics if the boat had those chine tabs from the factory.

As long as its closed cell foam, it shouldnt matter if you do pour in or sheets. Doubt the original foam was closed cell.

Sharpie223

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I'd personally recommend sheet foam, a little more work to install, but should last longer and easier to replace if ever needed. The pour in foam is also closed cell until the smallest damage to the surface, then it becomes a sponge, I've seen weeds growing in it, thriving. I suppose if you cast it in bags, this may improve its durability. Do some research on the two types of polystyrene foam otherwise, both are closed cell, but due to the different structures, there's tradeoffs in terms of moisture.

Also what's the strategy for drainage? I tore out 1 floor drain infront of the cabin door. Was that the only one? Anyone do anything different when they rebuild theses boats?

havoc_squad

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Also what's the strategy for drainage? I tore out 1 floor drain infront of the cabin door. Was that the only one? Anyone do anything different when they rebuild theses boats?
The main thing you want to think about is proper drainage ability should water get in so it doesn't pool.

If you dumped a five gallon bucket of water at a test spot slowly, would it properly drain it all out to the bilge area or would it pool in certain spots?

Usually drain points of fabricated bow seats is at the rear corner near the middle of the boat with the seat given a very slight rear angle that leans to face the drain hole side.

If you run into situations where you need to figure what is best on drainage, show the area in detailed photos and ask.

Last edited:

racerone

Supreme Mariner
I mentioned to one fellow that the foam under the floor might be water logged.----His reply was ----" I did see a healthy dew worm come crawling up from under the floor once "-----This water logged foam is very common.----Many folks are unaware of it.----Or they reply with ----" I know it sits low in the water. It is well built and a heavy boat "-

MainelyDoc

Recruit
No surprise there either.------But squeeze that foam and taste.-----Sorry , could not resist.------Best not to put foam back in.-----There are better alternatives in my opinion.

what are the better alternatives. I have an old Gloucester 16 sailboat which had portions of styrofoam glued into the bow compartment. Mice or chipmunks or squirrels took up home in it. Probably mice. They shredded the foam and lived in their urination. The cabin stunk/stinks. I am thinking of using the pool noodles because I can remove them easily from under the cabin seat compartments and from the bow area. I expect the boat will be dry except if it capsizes which I don't anticipate. Any suggestions for alternative floatation?

jbcurt00

Staff member
what are the better alternatives. I have an old Gloucester 16 sailboat which had portions of styrofoam glued into the bow compartment. Mice or chipmunks or squirrels took up home in it. Probably mice. They shredded the foam and lived in their urination. The cabin stunk/stinks. I am thinking of using the pool noodles because I can remove them easily from under the cabin seat compartments and from the bow area. I expect the boat will be dry except if it capsizes which I don't anticipate. Any suggestions for alternative floatation?
Start a topic about your boat and ask questions there. Asking about your boat here is considered a hijack.

No, pool noodles are worse than no flotation foam, false sense of safety. They are an extremely poor choice.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
I'm in the same boat, pun intended. I put back in the barn yesterday until fall.

Gibbles

Lieutenant Commander
Neato, an outboard islander!
Looks like the 19ft model?

I also thought that there were several very detailed threads on the restore of these things.

Neato, an outboard islander!
Looks like the 19ft model?

I also thought that there were several very detailed threads on the restore of these things.
If you know of some detailed islander threads could you link them. I wasn't having much luck finding any.

Gibbles

Lieutenant Commander
If you know of some detailed islander threads could you link them. I wasn't having much luck finding any.

the completed boat project list has a few in there.
I believe it's a sticky.

Most of the pictures have been nuked thanks to Photobucket's cash grab a few years back.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
the completed boat project list has a few in there.
I believe it's a sticky.

Most of the pictures have been nuked thanks to Photobucket's cash grab a few years back.
All the links were knocked out of whack when the new forum came online. You can still see the thread name and member to manually search it but the link will take you off to a totally different thread.

Welcome aboard neschenbrenner!!! Gibbles and Watermann both have Islander builds, And watermans is a V5 hull like yours!!! As to your motors, setting outside for extended periods with out fogging oil is tough on them. If they were mine I'd pull the plugs, load them up with fogging oil, turn the flywheels by hand to distribute the oil. Do that a few times over the months you're working on the boat and they may come back!!!! Keep your fingers crossed . I see the boat is registered in Ohio. Boats over 14 ft must have a title and a registration, just like your car. Each motor is titled and registered too. The trailer is only registered. The nice thing (????) about all the paper is it tells you exactly what you have. But Lord have mercy on your poor pitiful soul if something doesn't match. Like the others have said, this is going to be a great boat (again) and many great days on Lake Erie. Make sure the trailer FITS the boat CORRECTLY, and loading and unloading will be eazypeezy. Forget about the dock, you'll sleep better with it at home. OK I'm done.

Gibbles

Lieutenant Commander
For those pop rivets, we use a drill bit down the center of it, trying for a size that is either the same size or slightly smaller than the overall thickness of the main rivet body.

Once you have it thinned out, the heads pop right off.

I have also gone with the slightly larger than the main rivet body, go for just the head removal there and try to not go deep.

Last edited:

Gibbles

Lieutenant Commander
And mine will be coming apart here in a few weeks.
I just need some nice high 60-70 degree weather, and for it to stop raining/snowing.

Once i have the engine out in my build, likely the decking is coming up for some mild work, and probably an inspection/access hatch or two.

If there is a need, I'll do my best to cover rivet removal..

But to be honest, if you're unsure just rivet some scrap together and experiment with the removal.