1984 smoker craft - mystery leak

Bass and Hamms

Recruit
Hello everyone, I was looking through the forums to find some answers to my questions, and really didn't find anything recent. So, here it is.
1984 smoker craft alaskan. 17 foot. console on the starboard side. 30 hp suzuki 4 stroke. I love this boat. Bought it used a few years ago, and recently found that it takes on water while under power with a passenger. The water is only about a couple of cups, maybe a liter or so. Not much, but, I still like a dry boat.
Filled it with water, found no leaking rivets. Transom is good, as far as I can tell.
I would like to take the decking up and inspect the hull from the inside, fix anything I find that needs fixing, replace the foam, and then put the decking back on.
This is where I run into problems.
The deck is metal.
It is attached to the hull with rivets. Lots of rivets. I don't mind drilling out a leaky rivet or two and replacing them, but to drill out ALL of these rivets is going to leave ALOT of holes in the boat. Any suggestions? Any encouragement to alleviate my fears and apprehension of diving into this project?
IF I pull this decking, replace the foam, fix any problems, and replace the decking...how do I keep the foam from becoming wet again? Unfortunately, I have to fish in the rain sometimes. Sometimes (not too often)a really nice big fish splashes lake water all over the deck. That water all must be going under the deck, and then to the bilge...soaking the foam along the way? How do I keep the foam from being water logged?
I included some pics of my boat, and some pics of the metal deck after I removed my carpet and the old crappy carpet that was under the casting/fishing deck on the bow.

Attachments

• KIMG0157.JPG
    KIMG0157.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 12
  • KIMG0158.JPG
    KIMG0158.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 11
  • KIMG0162.JPG
    KIMG0162.JPG
    1,014.8 KB · Views: 11
  • boat deck 1.jpg
    boat deck 1.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 11
  • boat deck 2.jpg
    boat deck 2.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 12
  • boat deck 4.jpg
    boat deck 4.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 12

jbcurt00

Staff member
Appears to have been re-muddled in the past. Never seen 1 built that way, so best I can suggest is dismantle carefully and see whats hidden below decks.

Fix and put back similarly or to suit you, it can be done, means & methods can be suggested after ya open it up....

HOWEVER, for less then a liter of water, a good switchable bilge pump would be my preference, leave it alone until you get a gallon every few hours while in use.

And Store it well covered, bow hight and plug out.

Last edited: