1984 Glasstream Hydrabass 17ft

Matt129

Seaman
Hello everyone. I’m considering buying a 1984 Glasstream Hydrabass with a Mercury tower of power 150hp on it as a project boat. Do any of you know if Glasstream boats were any good quality compared to like a Ranger or something? I can hardly find any info on them online. Thanks for any help you can give me.

jbcurt00

Staff member
Its a 38 yr old boat, its current condition is more important then how 'good'.it was in 1984.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
welcome aboard.

being a 38 year old boat means is 2.5 x older than its design life

you bought it as a project. expect a full hull restoration for the following reasons:
  • you bought it as a project
  • its a boat built in 1984 making it 38-39 years old when it was designed to last 15
  • its a fiberglass boat built in the 80's which were not built with great pride or manufacturing practices
as JB stated, back in 1984 was when they would have cared about brand. 1985 to present you care about the condition and how it was sheltered and maintained.

Matt129

Seaman
Here’s a pic of the boat.

Attachments

• 6AAC3F04-3F39-407B-B5A7-BBAC43B90606.jpeg
    6AAC3F04-3F39-407B-B5A7-BBAC43B90606.jpeg
    620.6 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:

Matt129

Seaman
welcome aboard.

you bought it as a project. expect a full hull restoration for the following reasons:
  • its a boat built in 1984 making it 38-39 years old when it was designed to last 15
  • its a fiberglass boat built in the 80's which were not built with great pride or manufacturing practices
as JB stated, back in 1984 was when they would have cared about brand. 1985 to present you care about the condition and how it was sheltered and maintained.
I don’t think the hull of the boat will require too much, it is a project boat but it really doesn’t need too much. The hull still floats and does not leak, the deck is original and still solid, and the transom is still solid. As far as I could tell the only damage to the hull is an 8” keel scrape that doesn’t leak. The boat appears to have been stored indoors or at least under a tarp giving how clean it is. It seems the largest issue is that the motor doesn’t run, but I’m experienced with old outboards so I don’t think I’ll have a problem getting it up and going. It seems like it has good bones, so to speak, especially for the price. But since it’s an 80s fiberglass boat you don’t think it was made very well? I had never heard much about Glasstream but I was under the impression it was a higher end brand? I may be wrong though. Thank you for getting back to me so quickly.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
But since it’s an 80s fiberglass boat you don’t think it was made very well?
none of the fiberglass boats from the 80's were made very well. no mater what the brand was or if it was a canoe, bass boat, bow rider, cuddy cabin or express cruiser. they all have issue

people had disposable income, they bought a lot of boats. boat makers slapped them together as cheap as possible. manufacturing practices back then were iffy

with your boat, I would weigh it. if you are 100# or more over spec weight, assume the flotation foam has water in it. look inside the hull at the stringers, etc.

If your boat doesnt have rot, it was either never used or it does and you havent found it yet. your boat is a wood and balsa constructed stringers, transom and floor

just google hydrobass restoration and you will many of them where they are getting a total restoration because of rotten wood in the transom, stringers, and deck

Matt129

Seaman
welcome aboard.

I don’t think the hull of the boat will require too much, it is a project boat but it really doesn’t need too much. The hull still floats and does not leak, the deck is original and still solid, and the transom is still solid. As far as I could tell the only damage to the hull is an 8” keel scrape that doesn’t leak. The boat appears to have been stored indoors or at least under a tarp giving how clean it is. It seems the largest issue is that the motor doesn’t run, but I’m experienced with old outboards so I don’t think I’ll have a problem getting it up and going. It seems like it has good bones, so to speak, especially for the price. But since it’s an 80s fiberglass boat you don’t think it was made very well? I had never heard much about Glasstream but I was under the impression it was a higher end brand? I may be wrong though. Thank you for getting back to me so quickly.

Matt129

Seaman
Hello everyone, I am looking into buying an old fiberglass bass boat. The hull is in good shape except for a 8” long scrape on the bottom of the boat that cut through the gel coat. The owner claims that it doesn’t leak at all and had no problem being on on the water for hours on end. Should I be worried about this, or if it’s not leaking is it fine? Thanks for any help you can give me.

Attachments

• EBC0334B-AE33-4D63-9C10-EAEA18B11A90.jpeg
    EBC0334B-AE33-4D63-9C10-EAEA18B11A90.jpeg
    438.3 KB · Views: 22
  • AEA418DB-1B4B-440D-AB4F-90169437EB0D.jpeg
    AEA418DB-1B4B-440D-AB4F-90169437EB0D.jpeg
    507.9 KB · Views: 50
  • 22DC3FC1-3E6A-4653-B6CD-544547BACE12.jpeg
    22DC3FC1-3E6A-4653-B6CD-544547BACE12.jpeg
    620.6 KB · Views: 23

Scott Danforth

Staff member
That looks like its thru the glass and to the foam

Matt129

Seaman
Can this be repaired? The guy says that the boat doesn’t leak and did fine in the water for hours at a time after the damage. I don’t believe the boat has been in the water for a while though.

Last edited:

Matt129

Seaman
Do you think the foam and stringers will be ruined? The guy says the deck and transom are still solid with no issues. How can I check the boat for rot without tearing it apart lol? I don’t think flex seal will be an option this time 😂. Also, where can I find a cheap suitable paint to touch up this part of the hull after it is repaired? When I look up boat hull paint, first off it isn’t remotely this 1980s color, second it’s in a gallon can, and thirdly it’s like $300. Where can I find a very small spray can of suitable paint that looks at least remotely the same color and doesn’t explode my budget lol? Thanks.

Last edited:

Scott Danforth

Staff member
the seller will tell you anything to make the sale.

your hull is gel, not paint. if it was just a scrape on the gel, gel repair is easy.

I would assume that the transom and stringers are wet or rotten. you can weigh the boat to verify pre-sale. if the boat weighs much more than its spec weight, consider it water logged

however I would not buy it personally because the money and time to fix it is a lot more than the boat is worth.

in the picture, you can see holes and cracks thru the fiberglass
aea418db-1b4b-440d-ab4f-90169437eb0d-jpeg.358527

Scott Danforth

Staff member
suggest you do some reading

then read the threads in links 14, 15, 18, 2, 2, 4a, and 4b https://forums.iboats.com/threads/how-tos-and-other-great-information.283508/

here is a thread on re-gel coating a sparkle boat. https://www.boatdesign.net/threads/gelcoating-the-whole-boat-down-to-the-waterline.61694/

Matt129

Seaman
suggest you do some reading

then read the threads in links 14, 15, 18, 2, 2, 4a, and 4b https://forums.iboats.com/threads/how-tos-and-other-great-information.283508/

here is a thread on re-gel coating a sparkle boat. https://www.boatdesign.net/threads/gelcoating-the-whole-boat-down-to-the-waterline.61694/
Thanks for the links. I spoke with the seller more and thank goodness the scrape doesn’t go all the way through the fiberglass so it should be a simple total boat structural putty/ gel coat touch up and it will be good to go. Also he showed me inside the compartments and under the deck, and surprisingly it looks dry, clean, and the foam looks brand new. Also the original deck is still solid, so I think I may have found a rare not rotted out Hydrabass lol. I also did some research and it seems the Glasstream boats are basically knockoff ranger boats except they have chopper-gun hulls instead of hand laid, and somewhat cheaper wood but otherwise the same. This boat has a good trailer, and titles for everything so I think I’m going to take a chance on this one. I’m buying it as a project so I do expect it to take some work lol.

briangcc

Commander
Well since you're set on taking a chance on it, may I offer the following...

Launch the boat and use it for an hour or two. Retrieve the boat and wipe it down with a towel so its dry on the outside near that puncture. It's at the bow right? If so, tip the trailer down so the bow is lower than the transom and wait. Bet you find water coming OUT of that scrape.

If you do have water coming out of that scrape...1. The seller lied (go figure) and 2. You have a much larger project than you're anticipating.

Matt129

Seaman
Well since you're set on taking a chance on it, may I offer the following...

Launch the boat and use it for an hour or two. Retrieve the boat and wipe it down with a towel so its dry on the outside near that puncture. It's at the bow right? If so, tip the trailer down so the bow is lower than the transom and wait. Bet you find water coming OUT of that scrape.

If you do have water coming out of that scrape...1. The seller lied (go figure) and 2. You have a much larger project than you're anticipating.
I will definitely do that. I am prepared to tear this thing down to the stringers if I have to, I’m not afraid of the work and in fact find it enjoyable. It’s kind of like rebuilding a vintage car to me lol. Btw, I like your profile pic lol.