1984 Bayliner Capri Rebuild

singinout

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1984 Bayliner Capri Rebuild

Nice work on the interior man! I love the cosmetics! :D Jst hang in there, you'll get the bugs wrkd out eventually!

JoeyInKC

Seaman Apprentice

Looks real nice!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I would like to do a restore on my 87 capri cuddy. How did you go about taking the old deck up? Is there only foam where the stringers are? how did you go about vinyling your lounge seats? thank-you in advance.

Well to remove the deck I used alot of patience and a angle grinder with several 4" wheels. You just have to take your time to make sure you dont go through the hull. Be sure to wear a good dust mask, as you will be kicking up a lot of fiberglass particles.

I replaced the stringers, so there is foam and new stringers there.

As far as the the seats?, that was a headache. I had my wife save the original seat coverings when we started. So when it came time I could use them as templates. I just removed the old stitching, traced, cutout, and sewed using a sewing machine.

JoeyInKC

Seaman Apprentice

Nice work on the interior man! I love the cosmetics! :D Jst hang in there, you'll get the bugs wrkd out eventually!

Just like buying an old car, a boat is no different. You're right, hopefully I will get them all worked out. I dont mind it too much, it helps me pass the time :)

drops

Cadet

Looks great man, I am going to be doing the same thing here in a few weeks to mine. I just hope I have the patience you had on that job. I wont have to do the sewing tho (as it would look something like edward scissor hands and never be the right shape) Good luck on the running issue.

bummed boater

Recruit

Hey did you get that boat running right yet? If not here some tips I have found with mine sine we both have the same engine I/O set up. I have a 85 1650 volvo penta setup. First make sure you have no water in the gas, or at the bottom of your tank, that will cause all kinds of issues, next make sure your point dwell is at 62 degrees or .016in point gap. Check float level in carb if necessary raise it about a 1/16th of in inch. Also check water separator and some of the fuel pumps had filter in them on the inlet. My boat didn't have a fuel filter or a water separator, I had the same problem as you did when I bought mine this spring and boat wasn't ran for two years. Make sure your alternator is charging also. Any other questions please feel free to ask.

runsonwater

Recruit

Your project inspired me to do one too! just happened on to one that was priced right ($230), same year with trailer too... started ripping out the floor, found ants and water in the foam. The side grinder works great, using the skil saw to do the rough demo. the floor is just totally rotton but only forward of the gas tank oddly enough, it was parked tilted forward. Going to post some pics soon.
Yours came out looking absolutely awesome, did you get anywhere with the last few tweaks with the gauges and the gelcoat?