1984 Bayliner 1600 Cuddy - UPDATED PICTURES 7/27/2012

afarrens

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 1984 Bayliner 1600 Cuddy

ok...still waiting for my bilge pump question...but here is another one...I believe this is the temp warning sensor (that is broken and not working) but can someone verify this for me? Its the little circle next to the top spark plug. Anyone know if that is just a standard temp sensor or is it force specific?

IMAG1081.jpgIMAG1082.jpg

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

View attachment 160353

Goodies arrived today from Ebay...a almost brand spanking new two way battery switch... shipped for 31$ bucks..pretty good.

Shop iboats store first!!! You will find the selection, customer service and availability great ;) http://www.iboats.com/Boat-Parts-Accessories/dm/

ok, so here is a good question for you guys, I still have a little while before I get to this point but I was doing some design layout yesterday and think I confused myself

my new three way switch has three posts on the back, bat1, bat2 and both. Now when I wire up my bilge pump, everywhere i have read, it is recommended that the bilge is wired direct to the battery. So000 - do I wire the bilge to the battery2 (sense that's the secondary backup battery) , or to the both outlet on the switch?

of course my worst fear is that I am camping in the boat and the battery dies from burning the radio or anchor lights and next thing i know i'm knee deep in the cuddy because the bilge didn't switch on. and ideas here?

Here is where things get a bit crazy - no harm in posting and using the electrical section here which also has diagrams http://forums.iboats.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23 If you foresee yourself doing allot of lighting and playing with electrical stuff I highly recommend that you google "The 12 Volt Bible" and it is a great reference!

ok...still waiting for my bilge pump question...but here is another one...I believe this is the temp warning sensor (that is broken and not working) but can someone verify this for me? Its the little circle next to the top spark plug. Anyone know if that is just a standard temp sensor or is it force specific?

View attachment 160861View attachment 160862

Once again it gets crazy....... please post questions related to the motor in the proper section. Many of the motorheads hang out there and rarely come to the restoration section. Here is the section for your motor http://forums.iboats.com/forumdisplay.php?f=28

Have you peaked under that plywood cover up yet??

afarrens

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks Bob! both motor and electric posts have been made -
I always look in iboat for parts first - but could not pass on a $90 switch for $30..
i took a quick drill sample of the foam in the rear on both sides and it came up really dry..have not done a full inspection under the plywood decking yet...I need to change that statement...its not even plywood, its some cheap osb board. Going to run it in the water this weekend and see how much water it takes on and how it floats. The motor runs pretty strong in the bucket, so should be fun...I'll shoot some pictures this weekend.

afarrens

Petty Officer 2nd Class

ok - so the first outing...but...ran into some issues -first things first
got it hooked up and went out to the local lake, backed it into the lake, and she floated just fine. I did notice that there was a little water collecting in the bilge area, but it was a small amount. Fired the good old 85hp up and she started first try. My new telltale was working perfect! thanks to this site - Here are some pictures of mine -
IMAG1085.jpgIMAG1086.jpg

Went to put it into gear and she died - started back up and died - hmm...pulled the cover and noticed that the RPM screw was backed out all the way. I remembered reading that idle RPM's should be around 8 and I was currently about 4, so cranked that screw down a little bit and throttled forward and worked like a dream! ran around the lake going WOT, then back down, up down around, stop go start...everything worked perfect - Even stopped a few places to fish Couldn't resist -
Couple pics of the Admiral taking the helm -
IMAG1091.jpgIMAG1096.jpg

Spent a good 4 hours on the lake, the bilge pump never kicked on by its self, however there was enough water collecting down there that I manually flipped it on to pump out the water...in about 3 hours it was maybe 1/2 - 3/4 gallon. So i'll have to find that leak when the floor comes up. I tried poking around and looking for it, but could not locate it.

So taking the boat out - I noticed when the trailer was getting backed down (I was in the boat) that the trailer driver side wheel had a slight wobble to it. So being a little parioniod i was driving with my head out the window on the way home and sure enough could hear something rattling back there. So i pulled over to see what was making all that noise- HOLY CRAP...here was the problem -
IMAG1089.jpg

emoney

Commander

Ummmm.....that style usually works better when there's 5 posts. YIKES! Glad to hear you had a good day on the water and that the Admiral was having fun (huge bonus). Looks like you dodged a real bullet with that trailer. Did you drive it the rest of that way home or end up getting a tow?

afarrens

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I limped it home..luckly I live about 5 miles from the lake and was able to go all back roads and under 30 home. So once I got home, and got it apart I tried to figure out what happened - it looked as if the previous owner tried to get the tires off, doing so somehow he screwed up the lug nut bolt stripped the threads and got it spinning and could not get it off. Somewhere along the lines he broke the hub (and bent the wheel) I am guessing by trying to pry the thing off. Instead of fixing this problem it looked as if he put some type of JB weld on the hub, bolted the tire back on and went on his marry way. IDIOT...anyways - replaced BOTH hubs, new bearings, new tires are on order and will be here soon. That could have been BAD

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

I am not surprised. I hope you have matching straight wheels too. I would not blame anyone sine no one will take the blame and swear that never effected anything .........along with the obligatory shrug of the shoulders.

Great pictures. Happy to see you made it out and back safely.

afarrens

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well, I was a little stumped on what to tackle this week, I do not want to tear up the floor until the end of summer, and the seats are coming up with the floor so those have to wait also. The speaker wire is on order, so I thought I'd take a look at the dash...its in pretty poor shape. I think the only gauge that works is the RPM. Has a switch for the horn, and lights but both don't work. Looks like someone tried to install a crappy stereo at some point but that's useless now also.
So i measured and cut out a template - wanted some input - I got a steal of a deal on a set of gauges (temp, oil, volt, warning, rpm, speed). So I know my boat does not need an oil gauge, but I wanted to make the design ready for any addition in case I think of something else that I want to add.
Any creative ideas on the material for this? Besides a sheet of plywood. Aprox measurements are 9" x 23"
IMAG0010.jpg
IMAG0009.jpg

Any feedback?

afarrens

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I should mention that the stereo is going into a custom built box in the cuddy so I do not need to have it near the dash. Helps open up some room.

condor74

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: 1984 Bayliner 1600 Cuddy - UPDATED PICTURES 7/27/2012

Just found your old build. Any new updates? I recently picked up an 85 Cuddy with an inboard outboard set up.