1983 Skeeter Bassboat Restoration

dwyork@hotmail.com

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 1983 Skeeter Bassboat Restoration

When you glassed the holes, did you use chopped up fiberglass in the resin (like the kitty hair product) or did you just use a putty?

It's interesting how much the front casting deck looks like the one on my 78 Cane Cutter I'm working on. Almost the same floor pattern where the carpet and well lid is located.

I just filled the holes with fiberglass putty (they were just small screw holes for the most part) and then I put a thin layer of resin over the entire recessed areas of the deck. I don't think that I have ever seen a Cane Cutter, but I would like to if it resembles my Old Skeeter's Deck.

dwyork@hotmail.com

Petty Officer 2nd Class

So I have had the boat out and it fishes great. I still have a couple of peices of carpet to finish trimming and glue down and install my other fishfinder to the bow, but besides that I would call the project almost complete. Here is a link to all of the pictures including the final paint.

http://picasaweb.google.com/dyork23/1983Skeeter#

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Time to change your avatar ;) Nice job

dramamine

Recruit

I bought this 84 Skeeter Starfire for $500 without motor (Trailer included) and got this 75hp Mercury for $350 with only 23 hrs and put it on the boat, it runs great. I see all the work you're doing to your boat and can help to think why he doesn't just buy one like the one I got that's complete and safe all the trouble, money and work.
But to be honest I think when you're done you will feel great knowing that you did it. Best wishes.

singinout

Petty Officer 1st Class

I bought this 84 Skeeter Starfire for $500 without motor (Trailer included) and got this 75hp Mercury for $350 with only 23 hrs and put it on the boat, it runs great. I see all the work you're doing to your boat and can help to think why he doesn't just buy one like the one I got that's complete and safe all the trouble, money and work.
But to be honest I think when you're done you will feel great knowing that you did it. Best wishes.

Hey there's lots of value in the journey! And with a boat that old...even a modest restore will really do wonders!

Btw New York, the boat is looking great! Im thinking you better paint that trailer while you're at it! It looks a little outdated for that new snazzy paint above it! ;)