1983 OMC Stringer 800 Upper Gear Case

whtlbck74

Cadet
Thread starter
Joined
May 21, 2012
Messages
10
I have a 1983 Stringer 800 (502SPHRCTR) from a 23' Grady White 5.0 L V-8 I am in the process of repairing. I have all parts break downs etc, and feel I have all the information I need to re-build. The upper & lower drive shaft splines are rusted/corroded/broke away to nothing to engage. The outdrive failed on the water suddenly and this is the outcome. Initially we drained upper gear case and very little oil & a lot of water came out. My plan is to replace all bearings/seals & shafts, but it is bothering me wondering if this is a common problem, or was this just the weakest link in a failing system somewhere else. Tranfer gears are in excellent condition, ball gears also. I'm just looking for some opinions on whether I'm missing something before I drop the card on the parts..
Thanks in advance. Fishing season is coming up quick.

Whtlbck
 

Howard Sterndrive

Rear Admiral
Joined
Nov 5, 2008
Messages
4,603
Re: 1983 OMC Stringer 800 Upper Gear Case

common. people don't replace the impeller every few years as OMC recommended. Stripped splines is the result.
(the spines are greased during impeller service)


water in the upper gearcase common too. The seal where the steering worm gear shaft goes through a common leak point.
 

Nivekt

Chief Petty Officer
Joined
May 13, 2009
Messages
481
Re: 1983 OMC Stringer 800 Upper Gear Case

The only thing I have to add is that when you are doing the rebuild(reseal) take the time to use the proper sealers and compounds. I.E. Permatex aviation gasket sealer and loctite 680. Also, take the time and use some carburetor cleaner and a brass wire brush to get off all the old gasket sealer. Carb cleaner will melt the old gasket sealer right off and the brush will work it into all those hard to reach areas. Basically, just follow the instructions in the OEM service manual exactly.
 

whtlbck74

Cadet
Thread starter
Joined
May 21, 2012
Messages
10
Re: 1983 OMC Stringer 800 Upper Gear Case

Thanks for the information. Everything seems to be moving smoothly with the exception of removing the steering worm gear/retainer. Is there a trick to removing this? It seems pretty stubborn, and only able to get a 3/8" wrench on it. Left handed thread maybe? Any tips/tricks would be appreciated.
Thanks.
 

wire2

Lieutenant Commander
Joined
Jun 25, 2007
Messages
1,584
Re: 1983 OMC Stringer 800 Upper Gear Case

Are you located in a freezing winter zone? A bit of water in the upper from a bad seal will freeze, cracking the housing at the water passage side. Then more water comes in. Have a good look at the inner walls of the housing.
 

whtlbck74

Cadet
Thread starter
Joined
May 21, 2012
Messages
10
Re: 1983 OMC Stringer 800 Upper Gear Case

I am in a freezing zone, but haven't noticed any cracks in the housing. Any tips on removing the worm gear retainer?
 

Nivekt

Chief Petty Officer
Joined
May 13, 2009
Messages
481
Re: 1983 OMC Stringer 800 Upper Gear Case

I am in a freezing zone, but haven't noticed any cracks in the housing. Any tips on removing the worm gear retainer?

That worm gear retainer requires use of a special socket(tool #909075) and a breaker bar to remove. Go to google and search the part number for the tool so you can see what it looks like. You could probably make one of them with an old socket using a cut off wheel or grinder to shape the groove. The original tool would probably be difficult to find and expensive if you did find it.
 

whtlbck74

Cadet
Thread starter
Joined
May 21, 2012
Messages
10
Re: 1983 OMC Stringer 800 Upper Gear Case

Thanks for the information. Got it loose. Now onto degreasing and cleaning up prior to rebuild. More to follow....Thanks for the help.
 

Nivekt

Chief Petty Officer
Joined
May 13, 2009
Messages
481
Re: 1983 OMC Stringer 800 Upper Gear Case

Thanks for the information. Got it loose. Now onto degreasing and cleaning up prior to rebuild. More to follow....Thanks for the help.

How did you end up getting it loose?
 

whtlbck74

Cadet
Thread starter
Joined
May 21, 2012
Messages
10
Re: 1983 OMC Stringer 800 Upper Gear Case

Stud remover "cam type socket" after letting sit for a few days with pb blaster.
 

whtlbck74

Cadet
Thread starter
Joined
May 21, 2012
Messages
10
Re: 1983 OMC Stringer 800 Upper Gear Case

Hi all. A quick follow up question. I have replaced all internal components in the upper gear case, and followed the spinning torque value for the bearing carrier bearings /shaft when I reinstalled. However when I install the pinion gear, it is extremely hard to spin the ball gear. Is this normanl? Is there a torque value for spinning this whole assembly? Maybe it's because no lube yet? Any input would be helpful. Just a little hesistant to proceed.
Thanks,
Norm
 

Howard Sterndrive

Rear Admiral
Joined
Nov 5, 2008
Messages
4,603
Re: 1983 OMC Stringer 800 Upper Gear Case

I have replaced all internal components in the upper gear case, and followed the spinning torque value for the bearing carrier bearings /shaft when I reinstalled.
if new bearings and/or gears/shafts, you have to properly shim the vertical shaft/gear and then the horizontal one. i.e. follow the manual step by step. If it is tight with no water pump, something is wrong.
which manual are you using?
 

whtlbck74

Cadet
Thread starter
Joined
May 21, 2012
Messages
10
Re: 1983 OMC Stringer 800 Upper Gear Case

I have followed step by step with shimming. Water pump is installed. Horizontal shaft also installed. How much restriction on turning is normal. Sorry for all the questions, but this is the first one I've done.
 

Howard Sterndrive

Rear Admiral
Joined
Nov 5, 2008
Messages
4,603
Re: 1983 OMC Stringer 800 Upper Gear Case

Water pump is installed.
you can't take any rolling torque readings with the water pump in there. All setting and checking is done before the impeller goes in.
A new dry impeller on these things will make it tough to turn by hand.
 

whtlbck74

Cadet
Thread starter
Joined
May 21, 2012
Messages
10
Re: 1983 OMC Stringer 800 Upper Gear Case

I checked rolling torque on the vertical shaft and got it right on. Impeller was well lubed when I put it in. I was just looking for a "feel" of how much restriction there is when a unit is assembled.
 
Top