1983 Johnson 60 dies when throttling up

thephoneman

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hey guys, got rid of the deck boat and switched to a older crest with a Johnson 60 (j60elctb). Motor starts ok and shifts fine. When opening the throttle it goes just past idle but won't open up. Thankfully I've been able to recreate the same issue I had in the water on land. So far I've checked the plugs for spark, opened the carbs, checked fuel diaphragm and filter. All checked out ok. Don't have the thread in compression tester but that's on the list. Has the metal fuel can and releases pressure when I open the cap. I'm thinking this should be a pretty straight forward fix but not sure where to go now. Any help is appreciated.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
If the hose is plugged onto the tank the vent is open.----Should not the pressure.-----If hose is off the tank there will be pressure.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
On the metal OMC tanks of the 1960's and 70's you will see 2 wee pins.----Those are valves.----When pushed in by the hose connecter one lets fuel out of the tank.----The other one is the vent.-----So when a tanks sits in the sun with no hose attached ( cap closed ) it will build pressure.

thephoneman

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Well the venting wasn't the issue. I checked the lines coming to the carbs and there was a little dripping so I re connected them. Still doing the same thing. Starts good idles rough lol. When I go to give it gas it will either stall or run good for a sec then stall. I'll try to attach a pic of the supply lines. I'm thinking there may be a restriction in there and might need to get larger connectors.

Attachments

• 16276582002019037115796978230452.jpg
    16276582002019037115796978230452.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 5

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Report the results of a compression test.-----You should have about 140 + PSI on that motor.----Yes 140 PSI or more.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
So you have a bad gauge.-----Poor battery and starter motor.----Or a motor that needs a lot of work.-----Test with another gauge.----Remove cylinder head to inspect cylinder walls.-----Your choice.

thephoneman

Petty Officer 3rd Class
So you have a bad gauge.-----Poor battery and starter motor.----Or a motor that needs a lot of work.-----Test with another gauge.----Remove cylinder head to inspect cylinder walls.-----Your choice.
Not sure how the battery or starter motor would affect it running at wot?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
I am trying to assist you with bad compression test results.-----Not appreciated / understood I guess.-----Good luck with your motor.

thephoneman

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I am trying to assist you with bad compression test results.-----Not appreciated / understood I guess.-----Good luck with your motor.
Not at all. I understand that the compression is low. If your thinking that the motor isn't cranking hard/fast enough that would make sense. Just didn't come across as obvious. No need to get upset just because I asked what you meant.

thephoneman

Petty Officer 3rd Class
So it appears that the fuel pump may have been hooked up backwards. It's running great on the muffs. Water trial tomorrow