1983 Baja 184 BR

Hello,

I'm am a first time boat owner, just got it from my grandfather(a boat that in 1984 my grandfather, my only uncle, and myself) got to assemble in your garage. Now when I say assemble, I mean there was a blank hull, lumber, and all components to the brand new Evinrude 150xp. Our whole winter was spent that year building seat, installing floors, running wires, etc.

The 80's- 90's were a blast growing up on the water. My family has been using the same lake for over 30 yrs. But as new toys (the P.W.C.) come out, my family moved from the boat to theses new toys. Now there are 9 all Sea-Doos, and they are nice thing to ride. So the boat went untouched for over 4yrs. Then my grandfather gave the boat to my aunt, no big deal right.... She lives in Florida and there it got used 2 times, and then it sat for another 6 yrs. So my grandfather says if I pick it up its mine, so I did. When I got to her there was no cover on it, and I found out it hadn't had a cover for years, gel coat is ruined. Seats were rotten, the floor is showing signs of rot as well. And there is a whole list of engine problems, like its all used up!

After getting her home 725 miles later, I started removing the rotten bow seats, seat bases, driver and passenger seat. All wood so BADLY rotted that I had to guess on the patterns to use to build with. So as we all know its not right. And at this time I would say here are so pictures. But I cant figure out how to upload at this time. I'll get them up A.S.A.P.. I have made patch work to area of the boat, just to give my family some time on the water this coming summer. I'm going to be doing full restoration to my own little piece of history.

So what I am looking for is ideas for customizing my restoration. What have you guys done to your restored boats. I am not much on the fishing thing, I am a skier. Current setup as a ski pole in the middle of the boat, with 2 large support arms running to the back edges to the boat. I do like the pole idea it does make getting up much faster. And I don't mind this setup, but it does make it hard to change skiers, driver, etc.

As far as the sound system... When I get it, I had never seen a radio rotted completely away. But it was. I got a new head unit, but i am using 1980's speaker. Again any sweat ideas, send this way.

I do want to reclaim some of my youth, but we do. I am mainly doing this to bring my family closer together and show them all the fun boat ownership brings.

I can build any thing, I just lack creative mind of original design. And I not made of money. So im looking for those creative minds to maybe drop a few ideas.

Thanks for reading,
EricView attachment 86086

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Re: 1983 Baja 184 BR

Check out the link in my signature on how to post your pics.

Re: 1983 Baja 184 BR

ok I made changes, now I cant get any pic to post now. F.M.L.

Attachments

• 151.jpg
    151.jpg
    131.2 KB · Views: 0