1983 35hp erude died and won't start!

bensdad

Recruit
Thread starter
Joined
Jul 22, 2006
Messages
3
Ok here is the info the motor ran great put about 8 or so miles down the lake at different speeds, stopping to have lunch in between. we trolled for 20 or so minutes
before heading back to the ranp.
We were crusing at 1/2 to 3/4 throttle when it just died
like running out of gas( but have plenty)
The plugs are wet and have spark but it won't start.
I tried a spare power pack with the same results.
can anyone point me in the rifgt dirrection.( I want to keep the son fishing)
Thanks
Mark
aka bensdad
 

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Joined
Mar 25, 2001
Messages
45,907
Re: 1983 35hp erude died and won't start!

Go to the Engine FAQs, Mark.

'Outboard wont start" should put you on the right track.
 

bensdad

Recruit
Thread starter
Joined
Jul 22, 2006
Messages
3
Re: 1983 35hp erude died and won't start!

I just did a compression check and had 25lbs per cylinder. could I have lost a head gasket or have had rings stick in both cylinders?
Mark
 

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Joined
Mar 25, 2001
Messages
45,907
Re: 1983 35hp erude died and won't start!

Not reeds. Sounds like a head gasket or fractured block.
 

bensdad

Recruit
Thread starter
Joined
Jul 22, 2006
Messages
3
Re: 1983 35hp erude died and won't start!

I just pulled the head and found the gasket blown between the cylinders, I can see why I did not have compression in both cylinders.
The head and water jacket gaskets along with a thermostat are on the way here.
JB
thanks for the info
Mark
aka bensdad
 
Top