1982 Starcraft Center Console 18' Rebuild

Moserkr

Chief Officer + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2021
Not sure how i missed your thread but Im caught up now! Really do like center consoles for fishing.

Mikesta

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Had to adjust course a bit...There was a good bit of corrosion on the underside of the boat that I wanted to clean up and address before I continued on with replacing the rivets on the ribs. I got the boat flipped over in the driveway, removed the 3 ribs (not sure what to call them) that run bow to stern and started cleaning up the underside. Most of the corrosion is around the edges of those 3 ribs, I'm in the process of dremeling that stuff out and filling with jb. There's a few spots where it went through the hull right on the edge of the rib so idk how I'm going to fill that...can't really put a patch under the rib, might have to cut the head of a rivet a bit and try to wedge it in there just to fill the hole. There's also a bunch of spots that I'm not really sure what to do with...the metal looks slightly pitted and its got a rough finish to it but doesn't look like there's very much white corrosion in it at all, its mostly just black specks. Not sure if I should just try to sand it out or dremel the specks and fill with jb
Here's a pic of that...there's a few spots mixed in with white corrosion spots that I have to hit but idk how crazy to get with the darker stuff
42.jpg

Here's a pic of the bottom all cleaned up of the remaining paint spots, bondo and flex seal, just have to finish the dremeling and jb. I originally planned on cleaning all of this up while the boat was on the trailer and I am very glad I didn't because it took way more time than I expected
41.jpg

classiccat

"Captain" + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2020
Very ambitious undertaking!

Strakes are what you removed along with the keel.

Happy riveting! :D(y)

SHSU

Lieutenant Junior+Starmada Splash Of The Year 2019
Since you removed the knee bracket, suggest you also add an additional backing plate: Backing plate, hull, Knee bracket. It was suggested to me by @Watermann for extra material to help prevent stress on the hull.

DSC03688.JPG
DSC03687.JPG

SHSU

Mikesta

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Since you removed the knee bracket, suggest you also add an additional backing plate: Backing plate, hull, Knee bracket. It was suggested to me by @Watermann for extra material to help prevent stress on the hull.

View attachment 367546
View attachment 367547

SHSU
I have plates for the backside where I'm moving the drain plug to center, I figured the plate would cover the old holes that are there from the the old drain plug and the livewell intake. I also have a plate for the the bottom side of the knee brace on the outside of the hull because of the amount of corrosion there is in that area. That plate is 12"x12"

Mikesta

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I'm at a stand still while I try to figure out how to go forward. At the very edges of the strakes there was a few spots where the corrosion went through the hull, I don't know what the best way to fix it would be. Should I make a patch underneath the strake then fill the inside of the hole with jb, should I try to go over the edge of the strake so the patch would be half on the hull and half on the strake? I'm thinking putting a patch under the strake would be best but then the strake would sit up off the hull a tiny bit.

I tried to make a quick sketch because I'm sure my explanation makes no sense lol. Assume the black is the strake and the red dots are the holes exactly on the edges of where the strakes sit
41.5.jpg

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
How large are the corrosion holes and areas that are weakened? A closer pic showing the corrosion would help. Assuming this is the keel strake and only where the 2 red dots are but I also see you have removed the other 2 strakes as well.

SHSU

I see two options, find a welder willing to fill the holes or use a thin sheet of aluminum and 5200 with a couple solid rivets. The strake doesn't need to be perfectly flat on the hull as its only there for protection.

Just my 2 cents.

SHSU

Mikesta

Petty Officer 3rd Class
How large are the corrosion holes and areas that are weakened? A closer pic showing the corrosion would help. Assuming this is the keel strake and only where the 2 red dots are but I also see you have removed the other 2 strakes as well.
I don't have a pic for you because I get home from work after dark, I'll try to get one this weekend. The holes though in the general area of the dots and theres another one on the port side strake

Mikesta

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I see two options, find a welder willing to fill the holes or use a thin sheet of aluminum and 5200 with a couple solid rivets. The strake doesn't need to be perfectly flat on the hull as its only there for protection.

Just my 2 cents.

SHSU
This is exactly what I was hoping to hear lol I figured I'd check with the experts before I did anything. Do you think when I reattach the strakes I should run a bead of 5200 down them? It would help fill in any area where the strake sits off of the hull where the patches are too.

SHSU

This is exactly what I was hoping to hear lol I figured I'd check with the experts before I did anything. Do you think when I reattach the strakes I should run a bead of 5200 down them? It would help fill in any area where the strake sits off of the hull where the patches are too.
No need, the strakes aren't water tight.

SHSU