1982 Ebbtide Montego Restore/ Rotten Wood Repair

KLDARMY

Cadet
Hello All. I have recently bought a 1982 ebbtide montego. I love the boat and have been prepping it to restore it the best I can. I checked the boat over pretty well before I bought it. I pounded on everything and it all sounded solid. The carpet was pretty dingy so I started pulling it up and pulled it out of the ski locker and noticed some rot in the bottom of the ski locker. I didn't see this as a big deal. I knew it was what is underneath that matters more(the stringers). Luckily the stringers, from what I can tell, are in great shape. I then noticed the inside of the ski locker had rot and the fiberglass was falling off in a few spots. I pulled off what I could and on one side it is only a small maybe 6 inch section that is rotten. On the other it is probably a one foot section thats rotten. None of the rot is mush rot. there is still some structure. The floor of the ski locker was complete mush. I was doing body work and already have everything off of the boat to sane and polish it. The top can pretty easily be lifted off now after removing the outboard. My question is how do I replace the side of the ski locker properly without removing the floor over top of it? The floor is in good shape and is fiberglassed in All the stringers seem to be good also. I posted some pictures. Thanks for any help. I'm sure I'll have more questions along the way.
Rear gas1.jpgSki locker driver.jpgSki locker Left.jpgRear gas 2.jpg

Attachments

• Transom Bracket.jpg
    Transom Bracket.jpg
    138.3 KB · Views: 1

kmarine

Chief Petty Officer
Re: 1982 Ebbtide Montego Restore/ Rotten Wood Repair

you have a couple options, but I would cut the floor open above the locker and reglass it back in on top. if you go the other way you will have to piece in and glass inside the cave like locker. the nice thing about fiberglass is that you can add wet glass, piece the wood in pieces between, and add more glass on top for strength just make sure to not leave any exposed wood to rot or you will have to do it over again.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner

Based on your pics and descriptions, I highly suspect that your stringers and transom all have issues. The crack in the transom Knee is a good sign that major flexing is occuring which, to me, could indicate issues with the stringers and transom as well. I HIGHLY recommend you core sample the stringers and transom to get a more accurate evaluation of their condition. Boats usually rot from the bottom up and a solid deck does not necessarily mean all is well below deck.

KLDARMY

Cadet

Thanks for the help. I am going to take the top off when my family comes down in december and work on it. I have to cut out the deck just to see the stringers I assume since it is tabbed in and fiberglassed down. If I remove the gas tank I may be able to see the stringers but I don't know. I am a noob to boating so any help is appreciated. Well always had a john boat but thats completely different. Thanks

a1964rn

Petty Officer 1st Class

I agree with WOG. I thought the transom and knees on my boat were good. They sounded solid. Did a core sample and the transom knee was fiberglass only. The rest inside was mulch. My transom was solid sounding all the way across, but it has rotten spots where some screw holes were and near a bilge drain, so I'm having to replace it as well. Hope yours is not, but plan for the worst, and hope for the best. Good Luck!

KLDARMY

Cadet

Here is an update on my progress and some pictures. Any input on anything is appreciated. I am on a budget right now and I am looking to get it back on the water soon at least for this season and then I'm going to do things the right way and tear it completely apart and rebuild for next season.

I am having a problem with the tilt and trim on the outboard. The tilt cylinder is leaking down after putting it up. The manual states it should go from trim in to tilt up in about 17 seconds. It was taking me about 40 seconds to get it all the way up from trim in. I bought the o ring pack for the tilt cylinder and replaced them. It now goes up very fast right at 17 seconds. The problem is that it is still leaking down but much slower than before(was all the way down in about 4 seconds before I replaced the o rings and it would not lift itself without a little help). It is now leaking down in about 15 seconds. It is a1982 J115TLCNB Evinrude / Johnson Outboard. I am going to start replacing check valves until I find the problem unless someone has a better solution.

I have also stripped the boat of all chrome trim and decals. I have been cleaning the outside by hand with comet and a scotch brite pad to remove the thick white haze. It is the only thing I could find to take it off. I tried dawn, toilette bowl cleaner, regular boat soap, and I tried 3 different brands of fiberglass restorer. After it is back to normal color, I plan to use the ZEP wet look acrylic floor wax to protect it and make it shine. I have read many forums on this and found few negatives. If it was newer I would not recommend or do this of course.

I have also cleaned and stripped the outboard of decals and any loose paint. I am planning to sand, prime with self etching primer, then add building primer to fill any low spots, sand again, paint with original paint, and then add decals. I will also paint the tilt and trim once it is fixed. Please let me know if I am missing any steps.

I have started scraping the carpet glue from the deck. I am planning to paint it with an epoxy paint of some sort. The deck is very solid. underneath there are spots that are rotten. Any paint/prep advice for the deck paint would be appreciated. After I paint it I am going to buy some exterior carpet and make mats with snaps for easy removal to clean and to let dry. I had to replace the wood over the gas tank due to the previous owner drilling holes to mount a self made tower for wake boarding into. It was rotten all the way around the holes.
I will eventually have to replace all the stringers and the transom. I have checked it and it seems pretty sturdy everywhere so I think it is safe. The ski locker was completely shot. I am going to build a box that will fit in the ski locker after I cut out all of the ski locker that is rotten. I will paint this box with epoxy paint before I piece it together in the ski locker just to add a little water protection. Remember it only needs to hold until next season and it will be kept in my heated garage.

My dad I have also recently fixed a lot of the electrical. The owner before had so many live wires with nothing connected from where new gauges or accessories were installed. I waited for my dad to come down to visit so he could take a look since he is an electrician. He couldn't believe it when he saw it. We added a second battery after fixing all the electrical. We also added a cigarette aux jack and fixed the one in the boat that did not work. We added a volt meter with a 2 way switch so it shows the appropriate battery. We added a fuse box and a switch for the batteries (the switch allows me to choose each battery individually or combine them).

I have also stripped the interior and bought new blue vinyl. I am paying someone to reupholster the captain chairs that were inside and then I will recover the front bow pads myself. I had to create new wooden backs to mount the foam to since the old ones were rotten.

Any advice is welcome or if anyone has any questions I will answer them as best I can. If pictures are needed thats not a problem.

IMG_0912.jpgIMG_0910.jpgIMG_0909.jpgIMG_1009.JPGIMG_1008.JPG

jbcurt00

Staff member

Oops, no pix @ that last post KLD
shrug.gif

KLDARMY

Cadet

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_1011.JPG
    IMG_1011.JPG
    132 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1006.JPG
    IMG_1006.JPG
    119.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0377.JPG
    IMG_0377.JPG
    118.3 KB · Views: 0

Bomber Goober

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Nice looking project.As seen all to often with rebuilds on this site "solid" doesn't always mean good. I'd be preparing for the worst. I live right in spring lake off Manchester if you ever need a hand with anything. PM me and ill give you my number.

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

Unfortunately fiberglass boats rot from the inside out and the bottom up, just because your deck feels solid doesn't mean your below deck structure is sound. The floatation foam under your deck also supports the deck and is one of the reasons your deck "feels" solid.

You need to drill your stringers and transom to check for rot/wet wood, looking at the shavings will tell the tale. Light colored and dry=good, dark and or moist=bad.

Rotten transoms are bad... real bad:
bustedtransom.jpg

IMAG0145.jpg

You can do all the cosmetic work in the world to your boat, but all your going to have is a shiny rotten boat.

KLDARMY

Cadet

Over the weekend I drilled about 10 holes in the transom in various places. I drilled two beside the drain plug in the bottom and it was white and solid I then drilled two around each bolt that the motor is mounted with and then one around each knee. I should a screw driver in the crack of the one knee and surprisingly it is solid behind the knee. I plan to replace both knees as the other is cracked barely. The transom is very very solid and all of the holes I drilled the wood was white and good. However the stringers I drilled into we're a red color so they are rotting but are solid. They are not mush yet by any means. Maybe a half inch is but I actually had to drill to get shavings. It wasn't like the bit just went through it. There is a spot behind the gas tank that is shown in the pictures where the support for the cover over the gas tank had rotted and it has started rotting on the sides in about a 1sq. Ft area. So I bought some skid no more deck paint and I am painting the deck this weekend if the paint gets here. The reupholsterer should have my bow cushions done this weekend so I will put those in as we'll as install new captain seats. I am going to take gray vinyl and recover all the trim in the boat. I will post pictures of all this after it is completed. What are my options with the rot in the spots behind the gas tank? Can I cut it out and simply piece it in and cover it in epoxy and glass?

wal92tt

Recruit

I just bought a 1985 Ebbtide yesterday and have been searching the web for information on what model it could be. From looking at your pics, I believe I have a Montego. My gas tank sits against the transom though. I'm missing a lot of trim and chrome. I'm finding that finding info on Ebbtides is not too easy. Any suggestions as to where and how to possibly find parts? I would love to find some original pics so I know what everything once looked like and be able to go from there. How's your project going? Please post some more pics.

KLDARMY

Cadet

I too have had trouble finding info on ebbtides. I contacted ebbtide and did not get a reply. My boat is a 170 montego. I found the most information by simply putting in 170 ebbtide. It is actually 16.5' even though 170 implies 17'. Do you have pics? I have looked at a lot of info about 80s ebbtides and may be able to help you identify it better. If it is the exact model of mine I can point u in the direction on some info. Also what engine do you have? I/o? Or outboard? Mine is a Johnson 115 j115tlcnb it is a saltwater model. If you need info on that engine I have info about it and lots of parts sites. As for my build I am slowly getting it done. I am not in any hurry as I am in the army and on a mission in which if my unit gets activated I have to be back within 2 hours to leave. I can't go fishing because I wouldn't be able to get packed and be back in time. I have at least 6 months to get my boat finished. I have just fixed and added lights to the trailer. I also have been cleaning the boat up and cleaning the outboard to paint it. I plan on painting the floor next weekend if I get my order in time. Post any pics and information you already have about yours such as s/n, length , width, engine or outboard, and I'll try to help you the best I can. And I was told that they did not make manuals for the boats then, but they do for the engines or outboards.

KLDARMY

Cadet

I am almost ready to start replacing my ski locker and need some advice. I have a plan and am just looking for suggestions or opinions on it. I will cut plywood to fit the ski locker. 3 pieces( 2 sides and 1 bottom piece). I will wet them out with resin and fiberglass them before installing them. I will use PL generously applied and troweled out to reattach to the sides. I will also use it to bed them in. Now my question is should the sides to in first or the bottom. I would think the sides would go down then the bottom. Then I would use PB in the corners and fiberglass the whole thing so its attached to each other for strength. Any advice is appreciated. Attached is a pic of the ski locker. Red is PL on sides, Blue is PL on bottom, Yellow is the side board, and gray is the bottom board.Ski locker Fix.jpg