1982 150 poppet valve questions

fishingdan

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: 1982 150 poppet valve questions

I cleaned out the top carb and no more leaking fuel.

The other good news is that I saw real water squirt out of my tell tale today. The t-stats opened and it pee'ed all by itself.

Off to the lake for another test on Saturday and then fishing on Monday. As usual, boat is working again just in time to put it away for the winter.

Capt. Crunch

Seaman

Dan, I've been meaning to update my post with some info I gathered off another site (relates to the motors with figure-8 style poppet assembly covers).

Here is the info that answered all my questions:

[colour=blue]" Duh! Just pulled the service manual and the other pictures show it clearly.

You have a rare bird with the "figure8" poppet valve cover.

Port t-stat cover hose routes horizontally across to starboard t-stat cover (which has the tee connection). Other port of the starboard tee connection goes straight down along the inboard side of starboard cylinder head, then curves starboard to the poppet valve cover connection. This is the end of this hose instruction.

Next, the lower port side connection at the cylinder block base has an elbow. Connect a hose directly from there to the tell-tale nozzle.
That's it for the 2.0liter with the "figure8" poppet valve cover. "
[/colour]

It turns out my original routing was correct. I can only assume that behind the cross-over part of the figure-8 housing, there must be a port that passes water from both streams (poppet and t-stats) into the block, exhaust, or wherever (labeled "downstream restriction" on the flow diagram). I have yet to get the boat on the water, but something sure sounded wrong when I changed the hoses. Not it sounds right again.

Anyways... just some info I thought I'd pass along. Glad to hear yours is running correctly.

Dennis

fishingdan

Lieutenant Junior Grade

hmmmm.....

So....If you remember my setup (which I beleive is the setup you changed to), I could get to this setup by moving the relief valve discharge from the top of the block to the starboard t-stat discharge (after installing a t-fitting). That seems to match the crappy picture in the Seloc manual (same one you posted on your thread).

Appearently, merc changed this setup frequently. This is complicated on my engine due to, possibly, a rebuilt powerhead that no longer matches the configuration displayed via the serial number.

Thanks for the late breaking news. I guess since the relief valve discharge is discharge (water going out after the poppet opens), it wouldn't hurt it to have that water exit the tell-tale and the exhaust plate.

I know much more about this topic than I ever wanted to....

Dan

Capt. Crunch

Seaman

I hear you. I've reached a point where I just wanted it to end and run happily...

Things do seem so complicated when you have to wonder about replaced powerheads and their year. From what I've gathered, most of my motor is a '79 and the powerhead seems to fit into the mid '80 based on serial #'s for motors with the figure-8 poppet cover. Or is it a mid '80's motor with a '79 bracket? Who will ever know?

Either way, you're a step ahead of me because you know yours is running happily. My first test might be another week...

Thanks for the info you shared. It helped as we worked towards an answer.

Thanks,
Dennis

fishingdan

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Likewise Dennis, thank you for posting your efforts. It has helped me.

It is too early for me to claim victory. It is running in the driveway. We'll find out on Saturday how she really is.

Btw, I found another reference that says the relief valve discharge should connect into the t-stat discharge circuit. Maybe I will just try it and see what difference it makes.

I do need to pick up a water pressure gauge and eliminate the last piece of guessing.

dgreen8

Recruit

I was just browsing your thread and saw your relief valve and noticed it is the same one that I have. I have a 1979 200 hp merc. I have the same brass plug that you have. My water temp is not a problem, nor is the pressure. When the motor is cold the water pressure jumps a bit, but as it heats up, it becomes steady. I don't even know if this is what you are looking for, just wanted to let you know that that part is on my engine.

fishingdan

Lieutenant Junior Grade

dgreen8,

You have a brass plug on the small end of that figure 8 shaped cover (as I had at the start of this)?

I have given up trying to figure out what merc was thinking.

I am convinced that the when the poppet valve (aka pressure relief valve) opens, water enters the area behind the poppet and under the figure 8 shaped cover. It then must exit somewhere. If it didn't, it would only briefly relieve pressure. Once the pressure equalized, there would be no more relief.

dgreen8

Recruit

fishingdan said:
dgreen8,

You have a brass plug on the small end of that figure 8 shaped cover (as I had at the start of this)?

I have given up trying to figure out what merc was thinking.

I am convinced that the when the poppet valve (aka pressure relief valve) opens, water enters the area behind the poppet and under the figure 8 shaped cover. It then must exit somewhere. If it didn't, it would only briefly relieve pressure. Once the pressure equalized, there would be no more relief.

dgreen8

Recruit

yes i do have the identical part that you do. i have only had two impellers replaced due to temp problems in 15 years, so i guess the relief valve system is still working. no water leaks or anything.

i did find some fuel on top of it though and at first thought it was part of the fuel pump. now, after investigating the thing, i find that there are three very small hoses from the three carbs that hide behind the switch modules that are dumping fuel. i haven't figured that one out yet. do you have any clues? By the way, the engine runs great. Just the fuel dump. not a lot, just enough to make me a little jittery.

gss036

Commander

If they are small hoses, about 3/16th", probably bleed hoses. That should be fixed as they redirect oil to the bearings some way. Most bleed hose come out of the block though. I am not familiar with that old of an engine to be more specific.

fishingdan

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Thanks dg.

I know of those hoses, but don't know what they do. You may want to start a specific topic for that question.

dgreen8

Recruit

gss036 said:
If they are small hoses, about 3/16th", probably bleed hoses. That should be fixed as they redirect oil to the bearings some way. Most bleed hose come out of the block though. I am not familiar with that old of an engine to be more specific.

dgreen8

Recruit

Gary, yes that is the size of the hoses. i guess i will have to take the switch modules off to see if they have just come off of the block. i can't find any info on the procedure, so i will just give it a try. thanx so much for your help.

KCLOST

Commander

And check the link I posted earlier you will find the parts for both poppet designs...

SANDYFLATS

Recruit

Thats exactly how my 1978 Black Max 150 is set up. Hose off of thermostat on starboard side routed directly into poppet valve.