1981 starcraft v220 mariner...floor-rivets

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crabeye

Cadet
Thinking about taking up floor and doing rivets..then adding foam again...I've got 150 honda v-tec ready to bolt on..starcraft guys..think it's worth it? Good boat for west coast ocean?...not to far out and mostly good days!!

Attachments

• photo327266.jpg
    photo327266.jpg
    149.2 KB · Views: 11
  • photo327268.jpg
    photo327268.jpg
    706.9 KB · Views: 11
  • photo327269.jpg
    photo327269.jpg
    792.5 KB · Views: 49

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Oh yeah that Mariner would handle some big water no problem. Oh hey that's a V5 hull mariner, super rare!

fetch

Now what about the rivets for the deck? Have you seen my rivet tutorial in the stickies?
https://forums.iboats.com/forum/owne...nd-more-rivets

SHSU

Lieutenant Junior+Starmada Splash Of The Year 2019
Looks like she is in descent shape. I wish I had the space and the opportunity to refurb that boat

SHSU

Crabeye

Cadet
Thanks for return posts..I'm not so good at posting..I think it's like a 1980 v220 mariner..I want to redo the rivets and gluvit thing..I've gone only so far as to lay under it and tap on rivets with a pick hammer..most are super strong..I have about 10 that heads were loose and I guess corroded..they just flaked off..there is 1 tiny hole I found that had some "rust".and I mean small..like a pin could go in it.. I want to use it on west coast here ..mostly good days,but want to get home if wind comes up..this hull has so much floor on it..like you can dance when your rockfishing..lol..well again I'm just a little nervous about hull strength..but I see some of you build on here and this boat has serious ribs in it..if anybody would chime in on durability and seaworthyness after I fix up..to get me over gears I would much apreciate..am I to understand that a v220 mariner is a rare beast in the starcraft world..?? I love the way it looks..just dont have any experience with what I have here...thanks ahead of time on any help..crabeye

Watermann

You have one of the easiest models to work on being a Mariner. My advice is to just start in by removing the console and decking to see what you have going on under there. Lets hope it just has some of the white styrofoam under there. My V5 also had some bad rivets that I had to replace, it's not too tough.

Crabeye

Cadet
Yes..I figured I should just Do it...I dont think I have too many rivets to do...there are a few on bottom that the heads just flaked off with just me using my fingernail...that scared me..but that wasn't that many..I also have a feeling by looking at heads that they might have been different..maybe replaced already...I'm willing to do it..just nervous about boat being tough..and able to pound into some waves.. you think that it can handle some abuse if necessary..I'm just thinking thin skin as compared to my thick boat..except I used to fish in a 12 ft. Klamath rivetted boat..!! It leaked like crazy..anyway thanks for encouragement..JC

Crabeye

Cadet
Also if poured foam is in there then just dig it out until clean? Pressure wash..

Watermann

Yeah most guys start in digging that old foam out with shovels and small spades. Yes a pressure washer is an essential tool!

My gutted clean V5 SS

y4mHjeIsuLmnGMH7Mm5uqtjEHfD_yy5PIazUNvZhkAVVQjVFOYmIweSm_tVNRk6dN9SM7-Kb9J_A9aMjC-xgt64QbWBNuTAZ2j6wnrFzMrjtZxiz_jsh6bJ3Uf5oWXXwntFjZaUDfIYX41Xxq14GTK2oQegb2PczghDVgDcUR9Et1PDryq3QeNkv0PrD1qzoOfMrmFlIpe8HpTeWt2M2fgdLg

Paul Fennell

Recruit
Beautiful boat man!! I just began a restoration of a 1986 16' starcraft mariner and was wondering if anyone knows if I can rip out the interior gunnel walls and remove the interior upper trim down to the rub rail and aluminum inner boat walls or are these compartments structurally load bearing?

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Beautiful boat man!! I just began a restoration of a 1986 16' starcraft mariner and was wondering if anyone knows if I can rip out the interior gunnel walls and remove the interior upper trim down to the rub rail and aluminum inner boat walls or are these compartments structurally load bearing?

Start your own thread.

Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.