1981 Springbok 18' Restoration/Renovation

mvanek21

Cadet
Hi all,

First off, I'd like to thank everybody on here for all the help I've received on other threads regarding other motor/electrical issues I've now successfully repaired.

This post will be about an aluminum boat I've purchased in hopes to cut open the closed bow, and transform it into an open bow designed for an extra pedestal seat for walleye jigging. I plan on including pictures as I progress through this project in hopes of receiving tips/tricks to help make it as successful and seamless as possible. I would like to construct a livewell into this boat as well if its doable once I go through the hull and ensure all the rivets/structural pieces are intact. The boat is a 1981 Springbok 18', previous owner said it would handle up to a 115 with no problem, just looking for some feedback as to what the max HP rating would be, nothing urgent as the hull itself is the priority and powering it will be one of the last steps. I've included some pictures below of the hull.

Any feedback/tips/tricks/advice is all greatly appreciated...

Attachments

• Springbok 1.jpg
    Springbok 1.jpg
    320.4 KB · Views: 9
  • Springbok 2.jpg
    Springbok 2.jpg
    222.6 KB · Views: 9
  • Springbok 3.jpg
    Springbok 3.jpg
    208.7 KB · Views: 9
  • Springbok 4.jpg
    Springbok 4.jpg
    329.6 KB · Views: 10
  • Springbok 5.jpg
    Springbok 5.jpg
    484.5 KB · Views: 10
  • Springbok 6.jpg
    Springbok 6.jpg
    489.4 KB · Views: 10

mvanek21

Cadet
Started off removing all of the interior stuff, lots of carpet and old foam flying everywhere. Went ahead and traced the shape of the new open bow and left about 4” extra everywhere so I can bend it downwards and wrap it down later on. Does anyone have any tips for removing the old pourable foam?
View attachment IMG_6918.jpegIMG_6936.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_6937.jpeg
    IMG_6937.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 5

mvanek21

Cadet
I am currently in the process of removing the last bits of foam and flooring before i fill the boat up with some water and find any leaky spots.

What would people suggest using for folding that aluminum on the bow downwards on a 90 degree angle? its about 0.100" so it seems like it would be tough to bend by hand without physically removing the whole gunwale sections. Does anyone have any advice on what tools to use of how to go about bending this down so i can weld/rivet it all together?